Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Google privacy changes

Does anyone know what this actually means to us as users?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-02-2012, 06:24 AM
No, and this is the first time I've seen/noticed the question asked on all the forums I frequent...

Will be interesting to see if anyone has any idea!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2012, 08:11 AM
A bit of useful help here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ory--late.html
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for that link Malka.

I've never registered with Google so I assume I can't 'sign in'

I've only ever used it for searches on organisations that I want to contact, is that a problem for me, for anyone else using this computer will I be bombarded with advertising I do not want

Any help or advice gratefully received
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the link Malka. It's not that I have anything dodgy to hide , I just really resent the intrusion and do not wish to be bombarded with "customised search results".

So if you sign in and do as that article says - can you then continue to sign in and use gmail and Picassa but your data will be anonymous after 18 months?

I wonder how it affects using Chrome? I suppose they will still get the ip.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Thanks for the link Malka. It's not that I have anything dodgy to hide , I just really resent the intrusion and do not wish to be bombarded with "customised search results".

So if you sign in and do as that article says - can you then continue to sign in and use gmail and Picassa but your data will be anonymous after 18 months?

I wonder how it affects using Chrome? I suppose they will still get the ip.
I use Firefox as my browser but have set my Home Page as Google and not Firefox. I also have Chrome but only use that for two sites which I use on occasion.

I have a number of gmail addresses - all variations of my name - as I use specific accounts for specific things [for example I use one for online orders only], and if I Google something [from either Firefox or Chrome, it comes up with the address of first gmail account I opened at the top right hand corner of the Google search page.

What I have done is followed the instructions as given in that link, for that email address only, as that is the only one that shows any of my past browsing history. [I have checked all the addresses and there is, as expected, no browsing history shown on any of them.]

[Picasa is also registered under that gmail address, presumably because I downloaded Picasa after I had opened that first gmail account.]

From what I understand, if a person does not have a gmail account/Picasa/does not use Chrome/does not sign in and delete their browing history before the end of this month, Google will "find" that person from their IP - and I think that that is one of the things that is causing a lot of consternation.

Edited to add - regarding your question about whether you can still sign in to use your gmail account/Picasa - I have deleted my browsing history but am still using my gmail accounts and Picasa as usual. What they mean about data being anonymous after 18 months I have yet to find out, as I am not sure what data they are talking about, neither is anyone I have asked on a computer forum.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I always create a private tab session (or use a different browser) for any service that is known to 'track' your web browsing.

I would do the same for 'that' social network that's known for spying on people - especially as it has been reported to track your browsing even if you log out!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I've just changed my privacy settings in google as per Daily Mail's recommendation.

I don't overly object to them collating my data because I don't have anything to hide but what does bug me is when you get adverts related to things you've recently searched - it's a PITA when it gets to my hubby's birthday or Xmas or something because it pops up with effectively gift ideas so I have to keep my laptop hidden from him!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Ι suppose I'd better click the annoying pop down and read it then. I've been closing it daily for ages now. What with 'essential updates' for Firefox, Adobe, HP and waddever - I'd have hardly any time to work on the thing if I sat downloading updates and reading changes to UAs all day!

Paypal informed me today that they had restricted my account because I had not responded to them back in November. I logged in and all they wanted me to do was click a box to reconfirm that I was a 'private individual'. I guess that was another essential 'change' I ignored!

These ads 'tailored' to you sometimes make me laugh. My job involves me emailing about 'stock' quite a lot - as in stock of products for sale and stocktaking. All my side bar ads now are for marvellous 'stock opportunities' as in stockbroker stock!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Don't forget there are a lot of browser add ons available that block ads and scripts running on web pages etc. Plus there's Incognito/Private browsing for buying birthday presents etc.