05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Wishing for good results for Zeke

Everything firmly crossed here *Hugs*
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Thank you xxx

We got a little surprise filled with best wishes this morning from some good friends...
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
he really is lovely!!!! All fingers and paws crossed for him!!!

hugs for all of you!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
he really is lovely!!!! All fingers and paws crossed for him!!!

hugs for all of you!
Thank you xxx bless him, he doesn't look himself here at all, that expression he's lost weight, his coat is terrible, his ears drooping and he is all lumpy and bumpy. A bit of a sad photo actually, but still very special xxx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Zeke is spending the weekend in hospital. He had his first chemo treatment tonight, which is quite aggressive and might make him quite sick Me, Paul and keisha spent a long time with him, went for a little walk in the grounds, we've not long been home.

Unfortunately a scan today showed the cancer has spread to some of his internal organs, so he is at stage 5 of the disease, the final stage.

I'm -for the first time- beginning to wonder if we're doing the right thing, he won't understand why we are making him so ill this weekend, he is not going to survive this/be cured. BUT he's a fit, healthy dog on the outside, and still so young, he's still happy and loving life.

I think we will see how he takes this first course, how it affects his whole elusive 'quality of life' and when the cancer returns, because we have been told it WILL return then the decision needs to be made then, not yet.

Although he is having chemo every wednesday now for 8 weeks, the side effects will be minimal after this initial one, he can still enjoy his weekends with his family, and actually won't feel any pain, the swelling will be gone from his glands as soon as Monday.

He's not ready to go yet, little skips on his walk tonight told us

My brave, brave beautiful boy, i'm really missing him. Hope he knows we haven't just left him, like his previous owners did before we rescued him and I hope he knows we are thinking of him tonight in there xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 08:20 PM
So sorry to hear Zeke's cancer has spread. Wishing him all the luck in the world for this weekend, poor wee soul. Hope enjoyes some more good times yet. Thinking of you all. Take care. xx

I know it's a different to yours slightly, but we lost two young Siamese cats early, both to cancer. One (Ziggy) had a tumour behind her eye and the other (Blue) had cancer of the lymph glands.

We lost Ziggy after about 4 months, couldn't be treated.

With chemo, they old us Blue would last about 6 months, wthout they said about 6 - 8 weeks. We choose not to have the chemo as what would've been the point for an extra couple of months life, along with harsh treatment and isolation? He lasted 3 months in the end, with a decent quality of life for the most part, mooching about the garden.

Anyway, thinking of you all.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 04:10 PM
So sorry you lost 2 to this awful desease xxxx

It's a hard decision to make, Chemo or not.

I respect anyones decision, it is a decision that can only be made by individuals and their dogs, and no one should ever be judged..kind of goes without saying.

I have been very shocked by friends and families reactions to it, a LOT of them telling us the best thing we can do is to have him pts NOW! before the suffering starts...

-NAH!

Personally for us, Zeke is only 6/7 yr old, he is a fit, healthy and very happy dog, money and time aren't an issue, so we decided to proceed with the treatment. 1 course for 8 weeks, then we look at his quality of life when the cancer returns next time.

and BOY AM I GLAD!!! - 1 night stay in hospital, and HE'S HOME!! (2 days early!!!!) he's been running, spinning, howling and jumping around like a pup! "The first dose likely to make him VERY sick?!" - Pah! Not a bit, I can't believe it! What a brave, strong lad he is!

I couldn't believe it when they told us over the phone to come and get him!!

PLUS, the 7 further weekly treatments have little or no side effects, it was only this one which might have made him very sick - winner!

A few pics from today (he looks very tired on them, I only got the camera out later after he had worn himself out playing puppies!)..............

Paul looking relieved to have his boy home!

Beef stock Ice bricks! (I mean come on, who can say the best thing is to have this fit young man put to sleep?!)

In his favourite spot showing off his designer stubble bits
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Lucie I am so sad to here Zeke has secondaries I had hoped you might have caught it in time.

Zeke looks a lovely cuddly teddy bear of a dog, looking at the photographs of him I can only imagine the sadness you must be feeling.

I know what some people will be telling you but only other dog owners who have been in a similar position know how it feels to cling to the precious time that is left with a sick dog. Enjoy every moment with your beautiful boy and try not to think too much about the future, Zeke is enjoying life at the moment and that is all that matters...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your gorgeous boy Zeke, but you can only hope this chemo works for him, and if it's worked for my friend, then he has every chance it will work for him. I can see the pain in your hubby's eyes there Keep your chin up, think positive, and see how he goes on it, only you can then decide whether or not you think his quality of life is suffering.

Dylan (Lilypup's) had chemo, she persevered with it right up to the end, and you should see him now at 14!!! All his fur has come back, he looks and acts a picture of health, and I really hope the same happens for Zeka.

As you say though, it must be so hard for them to understand why we make them ill to make them better, but I'm sure he's not relating that to you doing it, dogs are very smart you know! Good luck with it all, I'm sorry I missed all of this until I saw it in one of our happier threads put up today. Good luck to both of you and especially to Zeke.xx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys xxxxxx

For reference incase anyone seeks out this thread for advice, he has started the 'Madison Wisconsin' protocol Chemo treatment, for 25 weeks, weekly till 8 weeks then fortnightly.

The side effects of this, despite it being a very aggresive treatment are minimal or none existant! People talk about not persuing Chemo because they don't want to see the dogs suffer when infact there is no suffering on this treatment in the majority of cases. Zeke certainly isn't suffering after the first-and worst administration yesterday. Just been out for his evening walk and he is his same old self and enjoyed his walk as much as always, my strong brave boy
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »