Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Just had a look at the med card and he got Rabisin on the 19/2/09 - expires on the 9/1/11 and next due date is Feb 2010. So yes it looks like we need a booster.
Er I suggest you read this from the NOAH site

Rabisin: Dosage and administration

Dosage and administration
Inject one 1 ml dose subcutaneously, according to the following schedule:
Minimum age at vaccination: 3 months.
Booster vaccination should be given every two years.
UK Pet Travel Scheme (PETS):
Animals intended for vaccination under the UK Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) must be identified by a permanently numbered microchip. The microchip number must be recorded on the record of dog and cat vaccination at the time of rabies vaccination.
Experience has shown that a proportion of vaccinated animals, while protected, may not show the 0.5 I.U. antibody titre on blood testing required by the UK PETS scheme. Veterinary Surgeons may wish to consider two vaccinations particularly in young naive animals.
The best time for a blood sample to be taken is from 14 days after vaccination.
The page on the Noah(National Office of Animal Health) site is here

You might want to print the page off & show it to your vet as he needs to get his facts correct

Please get your dogs Pet Passport completed correctly ASAP

Your dog doesn't need unnecessary vaccinations & your vet needs to understand that when a vaccine is accepted by both the manufacturer & NOAH as lasting 2 years dogs do not need boosters any more frequently
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks Joedee, seems like I need to change the vet considering the letter I got from him stating that rabies vaccine booster was urgent and if I missed the deadline I'd have to get another blood test done and wait for further 6 months!
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Just had a look at the med card and he got Rabisin on the 19/2/09 - expires on the 9/1/11 and next due date is Feb 2010. So yes it looks like we need a booster.
That second date looks like it could be the expiry date for the batch number? The due date should be the a day before the anniversary of the original injection. (for a yearly booster).
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
That second date looks like it could be the expiry date for the batch number? The due date should be the a day before the anniversary of the original injection. (for a yearly booster).
But the vet nurse just told me that the vaccine is valid for two years? And that some countries, like France, need a yearly booster to enter.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2010, 01:30 PM
But the vet nurse just told me that the vaccine is valid for two years? And that some countries, like France, need a yearly booster to enter.
As far as I know France does. If it has changed then I am unaware of it. We used to have to produce the certificate at any campsite we visited.

There is much evidence that the vaccine is effective for several years but this doesn't mean that governments/drug companies/vets have caught up or want to catch up.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:30 PM
These are the rules on rabies Vax in France(from the French Embassy site)
· VACCINATION AGAINST RABIES:

Your animal has to be at least 3 months old to be vaccinated.

The vaccination is done by a vet.

Make sure the vet records the following details on the pet’s vaccination record

:- The date of birth/age of the animal
- The microchip number
- The date of vaccination
- The date the booster vaccination is due
- The batch number
It does not mention the rabies Booster having to be done annually for pets being in France for a period under three months.

Animals resident in France for longer than 3 months require annual rabies vaccinations under French law.
It would seem your vets & their staff need to update their knowledge of the Pet Travel Scheme !!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
As far as I know France does. If it has changed then I am unaware of it. We used to have to produce the certificate at any campsite we visited.

There is much evidence that the vaccine is effective for several years but this doesn't mean that governments/drug companies/vets have caught up or want to catch up.
Only if you are staying for more than three months at a time
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I think there should be a website where all the requirements are listed for all the countries! PETS scheme is accepted in USA but also says to refer to the country's embassy which says to refer to the specific state that one might visit!
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I think there should be a website where all the requirements are listed for all the countries! PETS scheme is accepted in USA but also says to refer to the country's embassy which says to refer to the specific state that one might visit!
State laws vary as to the time between boosters etc as well as well as state laws animal laws can vary from county to county
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I thought France had a 'once-a-year' requirement. All the states on the eastern side of the EU also have a 'once-a-year' requirement. For us it's safer to have the annual booster and then no matter what state we are traveling through we should be OK.

The UK requirement for a blood test and six month wait is just being extra careful, but then where Rabies is concerned you can't be too careful can you.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >