Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by bingowings View Post
Dew claws are located on the rear legs. Mine still have their foreclaws which helps when they tear into rabbits and large bones!
dew -claws are located on the front leg and can be on the rear legs as well,the rear dew claws serve no purpose!.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't agree with tail docking personally, or ear cropping or dew claw removal. I like dogs to be natural, without any bits chopped off!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I am completely against docking, also hate ear cropping and dew claw removal.... my own theory being they are born with a tail for a reason.... a friend of mine purposely hunted down a cocker spaniel without a tail because she thought they looked odd with them I didn't ask where she got him from, somewhere in Norfolk was all I know and want to know... He is a good looking boy, but I like them with the tails too!! He is a pet, not a worker and he is not from working lines either, can tell by looking at his shape and coat...
My own breeds English setters and Pointer do not need to be docked for working purposes as of the work they do in the field... would I have one if they needed docking... no! I would hope to find a breeder that would leave my puppies tail where it belongs!!
i dont get people like that, thats how they are supposed to look... i dont get how that can look odd.

i think if people dont like the dog as it naturally should be, then they should find a breed that they will accept... i think its wrong to be so into looks of the dogs... its a tail!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dont get people like that, thats how they are supposed to look... i dont get how that can look odd.

i think if people dont like the dog as it naturally should be, then they should find a breed that they will accept... i think its wrong to be so into looks of the dogs... its a tail!
Is that not what we ALL do when we choose a breed.

Aethstetics is a fundamental part in choosing a breed to live your life with.

And to be fair to those who have lived with docked breeds, and not been used to seeing anythign other, it will take a while to adjust to a different look.

Yes, they are still the same breed, but they do look differnet, and for some people the change is to much for them.

It does not make them wrong or bad , its just fact.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
dew -claws are located on the front leg and can be on the rear legs as well,the rear dew claws serve no purpose!.
Ahh thanks for that
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Is that not what we ALL do when we choose a breed.

Aethstetics is a fundamental part in choosing a breed to live your life with.

And to be fair to those who have lived with docked breeds, and not been used to seeing anythign other, it will take a while to adjust to a different look.

Yes, they are still the same breed, but they do look differnet, and for some people the change is to much for them.

It does not make them wrong or bad , its just fact.
No, I don't think we ALL place a high importance on aesthetics when choosing a breed. Temperarment/breed traits - yes, size - yes, coat type/length - yes, health - yes.

There is no harm in looks playing a small part in breed/dog selection, I just find it very sad when it becomes an over-riding factor. It also makes me wonder just how much of the 'whole package' of the breed these people really loved?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
No, I don't think we ALL place a high importance on aesthetics when choosing a breed. Temperarment/breed traits - yes, size - yes, coat type/length - yes, health - yes.
Ofcourse all the rest will come into place, and are equally if not more important.

Whether a breed fits into your lifestyle will all be things we need to take into account.

But Aesthetics will play they very first part in picking your breed.

just like picking a partner.. you are attracted to the LOOK of a certain person.. breed, then you need to take much more into account.

There are many breeds I dont like the look off... so would not even consider taking them on.

But once I like the look of something, then homework is need, health temperament lifestyle will then decide whether a breed is for you or not.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I have 2 boxers, Fred is docked (though his dock is quite long compared to others and my last boxer), Mya has a full tail. I love her tail, gives her so much character and it never stops wagging (though it bloomin hurts when you get whacked by it when she walks or zooms past)
I've had so many comments that people can't get used to boxers with tails but it doesn't bother me, I love her tail and I tell them that, she's still a boxer just a boxer with a tail, still has the crazy boxer personality.
I would never be put off getting a breed that was previously docked just because they now have tails. I've seen rotties, dobermans, viszlas, pointers, spaniels etc with tails and I think they look great
My hubby on the other hand thought Mya looked weird at first but he too loves her tail now
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Ofcourse all the rest will come into place, and are equally if not more important.

Whether a breed fits into your lifestyle will all be things we need to take into account.

But Aesthetics will play they very first part in picking your breed.

just like picking a partner.. you are attracted to the LOOK of a certain person.. breed, then you need to take much more into account.

There are many breeds I dont like the look off... so would not even consider taking them on.

But once I like the look of something, then homework is need, health temperament lifestyle will then decide whether a breed is for you or not.
Interesting point - I guess, particularly as a youngster I loved the look of all dogs and was attracted to border collies because of their intelligence not because I thought they looked nicer than every other breed.

There are breeds that I prefer the looks of, but I honestly don't think that I would dismiss a breed because of looks that was perfect (for me) in every other way.

Anyway - we're going slightly OT - I might start another thread about it though
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Interesting point - I guess, particularly as a youngster I loved the look of all dogs and was attracted to border collies because of their intelligence not because I thought they looked nicer than every other breed.

There are breeds that I prefer the looks of, but I honestly don't think that I would dismiss a breed because of looks that was perfect (for me) in every other way.

Anyway - we're going slightly OT - I might start another thread about it though
Yes, good point.

I understand what you are saying and agree with all you say.

My point was simple we use our eyes for "first impressions"

Ialso agree , i love all dogs, but some are more aesthetically pleasing (to me) than others... so this would be my first port of call, if I did not find a breed easy on the eye.. then it would be off my list.

What comes after , is the most important thing
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »