Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MacDillon
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Owners of dogs with Epilepsy.

I just wanted to see how many folks on here have dogs with epilepsy.
I did a search of some threads and it seems there are a few of you out there.
It was also interesting to read about what you feed your dogs and the different medications that are available.

Our dog Dillon has epilepsy. As he is a rehome, we don't know whether his condition is genetic or caused from head trauma when he was beaten in a previous home. Although we found out that one of his brothers also had epilepsy but was much more severe and didn't make it

Dillon is currently prescribed 60mg of Epiphen. He was given 90mg but it was making him urinate a lot, so the vet lowered the dose and it works well. His routine bloods are always clear and they keep the fits at bay, unless we miss a dose like we did a few days ago

Our other dog finds the fits quite frightening and doesn't really know what to do with himself. The first one he witnessed, he ran away and ended up peeing everywhere. The other evening, he tried to rouse Dillon by pulling on his ear. I thought it was very sweet and clever of him but as you will all know, when a dog is mid fit, they have no control over themselves and Dillon has bit my husbands hand before when he was trying to clean his face from the frothing.
It's a bizarre and scary thing to watch.

Anyway, I'm hoping to maybe get some more tips and tricks from other owners, in particular, it would be good to hear about the dogs diets.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2013, 04:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog Dillon. There are quite a few members who own epi dogs and hopefully they will see this and comment.

It must be very traumatic to witness for you and your family and evidently for your other dog as well. What sweet behaviour trying to rouse Dillon.

Good luck with Dillon.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Pereg has Idiopathic Epilepsy, having her first Grand Mal seizure when she was 2 years and 4 months old. She weighs ~17kg and has 50mg Phenobarbitone TID as the usual BID was not helping her, and is currently on a good sz-free streak - which could, of course, change any second. I give her Milk Thistle, SAMe, and Taurine as supplements to help support her liver and so far all her levels have been fine.

I changed her from kibble to raw feeding shortly after her epilepsy started, having learned about raw from people on Dogsey.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2013, 09:40 PM
My border collie, Rowan, has ideopathic epilepsy which started when he was five (he's now nearly 9). He's a bit different from most sufferers in that his seizures occurred while he was doing agility and they weren't very severe, ie no loss of bladder or bowel control, no frothing at the mouth, back to normal very quickly etc. He's only had four that I'm aware of and has been seizure free since being medicated. He was on 45 mg of epiphen twice a day but I've started gradually reducing this (on vet advice) and he's now on 30 mg twice a day with no apparent ill effects. I've since discovered that one of his 'uncles' has epilepsy.

I feed him Arden Grange Performance kibble with added taurine which he does very well on.