View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Hello Tracy and welcome I have had many dogs at once but can only really have one now .

I would say if you have the room and can afford the upkeep including vets bills go for it.
It really takes little more effort to look after one more dog.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Toby2 View Post
6!! I'd be shot! I'd love to though

I've been told they become more removed from you when you get above 2, and less dependent on you?

Please don't think I want dependent dogs - Holly currently hangs around my neck at every opportunity to give me love, which can be hindering to say the least!

Also, people have told me I'll be looked at as the "weird dog lady" if I go above two, and that I'll never go on holiday with them, as no-one wants more than two dogs at a time. I've looked into it, and there are loads of places we can go, so I know people are talking rubbish when they say that.
Yes, I'm sure I'm the 'dog lady' in our village although a neighbour has five pointers so I'm not on my own!

The trick is to make sure the new dog bonds with you first so lots of training on his/her own, walks without the others etc. I have to say that mine are always puppies rather than rescues but I'm sure the same would apply. My youngest, now 13 months, follows me everywhere and is the first to sit on my lap if I let him!

You get used to the 'you've got your hands full', 'you just need a sleigh' type of comments!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing photos. Right, just off to the chiropractor for their 6 monthly check up.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
3 dogs is no different from 3, 3 no different from 4 if you can afford another dog and think you can offer a rescue a home, why not?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I have had at least 4 dogs , occasionally 5 for the last 22 years never had any problem going on holiday, there are more and more dog friendly places every year .
My dogs are not in any way remote from me . They are all individuals and are treated as such . I have a very close bond with all of them .
Of course I am most probably thought of as the weird dog lady but compared to all the other things folk get called it's not that bad .
My advice would be if you have the time and the money to have another dog then go for it .
Good luck
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm happy being the weird dog lady to be honest; as you say, I've been called worse things!

I suppose I was just worried that the doom and gloom my sister described would happen to me, but although she is a lovely person and good with animals, training and organisation have never been her strong point, as she is too soft for her own good!

Thank you all for your input - I'm even more excited now! We'll be going after Christmas as we're away for a few days before, but then there'll be 12 legs in the house for 2013!
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you have the perfect set up so why not. good luck
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:50 PM
my friend has five dogs, (kelpies and collies, plus 1 very greedy labrador!) although she does work two of hers in field trials/sheep dog work. They are all part of the family and live in the home.
I think it all depends on your own situation i.e work hours, the time to initiate them into the family group, time to work on training, and you have to consider how you would deal with the realistic situation that your two may not get along with another (or visa versa) It really depends on lots of things.

Go with your head not your heart, but in all honesties it can totally be done if A) you have the time and dedication and B) your dogs are ready for a new member to join
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
3 dogs is no different from 3, 3 no different from 4 if you can afford another dog and think you can offer a rescue a home, why not?
I love this post
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Toby2 View Post
but then there'll be 12 legs in the house for 2013!
Don't you mean 16 You'll all be part of the pack

I agree with the post above which said the biggest change is going from one to two, you should find it a dodle with three
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Don't you mean 16 You'll all be part of the pack

I agree with the post above which said the biggest change is going from one to two, you should find it a dodle with three
True! I meant furry ones!!

I can remember going from one well-behaved bitch to one of each sex 16 years ago and it was a nightmare! He was only our second dog and the bitch at the time was so well behaved. It took us 18 months to tame him, and in that time, he danced on the table, ate the candles, buried bones under the sofa cushions, peed all over the place, ate a giant bag of dried dog food (this was before we fed raw), got colic, ran off, climbed the bookcase and cracked and ate 2kg of walnuts in a single night, then had diahorrea all over the shells!

When he finally realised we loved him and wouldn't hurt him no matter what, he was the most loving, caring and clever dog. He died 4 years ago today at age 15 and I still miss him. When we both had proper flu and neither of us could move because we were so ill, he would lie on our chests, nose-to-nose until we fell asleep to make sure we were ok. Then he'd lie on the floor and keep watch for bad people

Sorry for the ramble, I'd forgotten what day it was!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >