Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Desensitizing Dog To Horses?

Although Dex is now far calmer and doesn't kick off nearly as much, we're still having a problem with horses. He goes beserk at the sight of them - last night on our evening walk we ran into two and he was up on his hind legs, growling and lunging. Thank goodness I had kept the headcollar on - last time we saw horses he lunged so violently I was dragged to the ground and got hurt while Dex went running after the horses!

As there is a riding school very close by, and the weather is nice right now, I think we're going to be encountering a few horses. So I want to desensitize Dex to them, any advice please?

Is the right way to take him to the field where the horses are, and stop at a distance and give him treats to try and start setting up a positive association?

But if the mere sight of them in the distance sets Dexter on edge etc, how do I start getting him to relax around them?

Any help much appreciated, thank you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
With my dogs, if horses are standing still, I ask the people if I can walk round them, then do a few circles at a distance, rewarding for calm.
If the horses are passing us, I do a Watch Me sit and reward. It works well.
BTW don`t let your inquisitive dog off the lead to get to know them because he will go and sniff behind them and possibly get kicked.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Maybe find a horsey and dog loving person local to you that might help, do you ever bump into a dog walker that has horses too? (I did and get free rides now lol) maybe they will just let you be around, maybe outside the outdoor school while they exercise, at a distance, if the horse is bombproof enough? Then praise and reward etc..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Unless you can find someone /somewhere (the riding school maybe) that will allow you to introduce Dex, in a controlled enviroment, on a daily basis, to the horses, both stationary and moving, I am not sure you will achieve what youi want.

Dogs need to be around horses constantly to lean not to chase , jump nip, its like everything , they need to learn over time to ignore said object.

Some dogs are naturally not interested , but the reactive ones need intense socialization.

Bandit was like that, he grew up around horses, but we still could never trust him when one was on the move.

Have a word with the riding school, tell them they you both use the same walks and you would like to desensitise him, (in case of accidents) and see if they will work with you.

Meet some riders out, who are on bomb proof horses,and see if you can walk away with them, hopefully this may also help calm him down.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
We meet horses infrequently and my dogs have learned to be calm around them.
But it also comes down to basic training - if that is good, a horse or cow or small child on a bicycle is simply another opportunity to practice.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
With my dogs, if horses are standing still, I ask the people if I can walk round them, then do a few circles at a distance, rewarding for calm.
If the horses are passing us, I do a Watch Me sit and reward. It works well.
BTW don`t let your inquisitive dog off the lead to get to know them because he will go and sniff behind them and possibly get kicked.

There is no way I could walk Dex around horses, he goes beserk at the mere sight of them, hence the post

'Watch me' etc does not work if he sees a horse, because 'red mist' descends and he doesn't even hear me.

And no - I would never, ever let him off lead around them.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Unless you can find someone /somewhere (the riding school maybe) that will allow you to introduce Dex, in a controlled environment, on a daily basis, to the horses, both stationary and moving, I am not sure you will achieve what you want.

Dogs need to be around horses constantly to lean not to chase , jump nip, its like everything , they need to learn over time to ignore said object.

Some dogs are naturally not interested , but the reactive ones need intense socialization.

Bandit was like that, he grew up around horses, but we still could never trust him when one was on the move.

Have a word with the riding school, tell them they you both use the same walks and you would like to desensitise him, (in case of accidents) and see if they will work with you.

Meet some riders out, who are on bomb proof horses,and see if you can walk away with them, hopefully this may also help calm him down.

Thank you very much, you clearly understand exactly what it is like when a dog reacts intensely to horses or indeed anything. Sound advice, much appreciated
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi, we have the same problem with Jasper.

However, when he is on the lead he ignores them. We took him to a stables ( on the lead ) and he was the perfect dog. Off the lead he runs up to them barking and running round them, the only way I could get him to stop was to throw a handful of biscuits onto the ground.

We have to call him back when we see horses and put him on the lead quick.

We did ask a trainer and her advice was " avoid them ".
I think Jasper is scared of them that's why he barks, maybe the same with Dexter.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by marianne38 View Post
Hi, we have the same problem with Jasper.

However, when he is on the lead he ignores them. We took him to a stables ( on the lead ) and he was the perfect dog. Off the lead he runs up to them barking and running round them, the only way I could get him to stop was to throw a handful of biscuits onto the ground.

We have to call him back when we see horses and put him on the lead quick.

We did ask a trainer and her advice was " avoid them ".
I think Jasper is scared of them that's why he barks, maybe the same with Dexter.

When he is on lead and sees them Dex goes mad. I don't know what he'd be like off lead as I wouldn't dare chance it

I agree with you that it is probably fear; maybe they think the horses are just very, very big dogs...?

Unfortunately we can't avoid them as the local riding school is three roads away and the riders go up and down our road at times as well as other roads in our immediate area
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2011, 06:58 AM
I know its difficult to avoid them if you live near stables

We are going to the New Forest this summer for a week.

I am hoping that because Jasper will see them all day it might desensitize him and he might get bored of them.
And they are a bit smaller than riding school horses.

Also I can image the new forest ponies are very used to dogs so won,t react if Jasper barks at them.

I will let you know how I get on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >