Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Fostering

I know some folk here foster dogs and wondered please what brought you to decide to do so and everything involved. Can you decide how long to have a dog with you, are there some dogs that say come to you for a break away from kennels? Is this good for them? It is not possible for me to rehome another dog at the moment but feel bad that could maybe help by fostering or helping in some way. I know would find it hard to see a dog go and don't know if my dog would accept another one here but other folk must have been through all this initially. Any pointers or advice much appreciated(sorry if daft question and in wrong section)
Thankyou
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I would approach your local rescues and ask how they work as different rescues work in different ways. Some rescues will barely use kennels so would probably appreciate longer term rescues, but I know my local-ish kennel relies on kennels for quite a few of their dogs and appreciates people taking a dog even just for the weekend to give them a break from their kennels. Some are really grateful for offers around Christmas if you can squeeze one in as they're often pressured by the boarding kennels who get busier at Christmas time.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I started fostering because my OH wouldn't let me have another dog. He agreed to fostering obviously because we wouldn't be keeping the dog, i can help more dogs this way than by rehoming another permanently.

The rescue i foster for pays for any vet treatment required and their food. The length of time they stay depends on how long it takes to rehome them. My foster dog at the moment has been with me nearly 2 months now. The one had had before that was only with me a week.

Happily we were doing a meet and greet locally on Saturday and a possible home for her has arisen from that. I also carry out homechecks for my rescue and others if the check is required around my local area.

Its very rewarding, especially if they are not in a very good condition when you get them, you see them bloom before your eyes and you know its because you are caring for them properly.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:52 PM
as above, my shortest has been a week the longest 3 months, all depends on when a suitable home comes along,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh and i have failed 3 times
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Thankyou for your replies, fostering is certainly something I will look into for the future.