Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Do you want a laptop or a desktop?

What is your budget?

What do you want to use the computer for? Web browsing/home use or anything specific like 3d graphics gaming and what not

In my experience, Mesh is pretty good value cross quality, Dell is good quality but expensive (so you get less for your money). Building your own is best quality, best specs and best value all rolled into one
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Definitely a desktop
I want it for home use such as writing, web browsing, some games, perhaps working from home at some point, photo editing, etc.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Mesh pc are good spec for the price, but the way the customer is treated after is disgrageful.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-09-2007, 04:35 PM
What is your budget LS and what do you want for it - eg printer/monitor as well etc?

Personally I would stay away from places like PC world, comet, dixons etc, their pcs are normally full of cheap componants - apart from the obvious like the cpu/chip.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2007, 04:52 PM
The place i use for parts, www.aria.co.uk also make system to your spec, maybe worth having a look there.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What is your budget LS and what do you want for it - eg printer/monitor as well etc?

Personally I would stay away from places like PC world, comet, dixons etc, their pcs are normally full of cheap componants - apart from the obvious like the cpu/chip.
Well I guess it kind of depends on what's available and the prices but I'm hoping up to around £700, if that's feasible? Less would be good! Prices have come down since we got our last one.

Wouldn't need a printer but probably should have a monitor as the current one is giving off a lot of static charges.

Thanks Stormey, will take a look at that too.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Well I guess it kind of depends on what's available and the prices but I'm hoping up to around £700, if that's feasible? Less would be good! Prices have come down since we got our last one.

Wouldn't need a printer but probably should have a monitor as the current one is giving off a lot of static charges.

Thanks Stormey, will take a look at that too.
i posted good parts from that store and get somebody to put it together for you, you get one for half that price and a good one i got the prices from that store from stormey up to you but for that price you can get a diamond

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=69603post nr 9
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-09-2007, 03:13 AM
For a pre-built system, these three on the mescomputers.com site seem ok

Elite Premier Plus
Elite E6750 GT Pro
Elite Quad FX

They are £599, £699 and £799
If you're not really into gaming, you can pretty much ignore the £699 one.

Dell also has some in the price range, and the plus point of the Dells are is that they're monitors are very nice. If the quality of the monitor is important, then the InspironTM 530 looks nice (one in the middle).

How comfortable is your hubby in diy stuff? do you reckon he could follow the step by steps on buildyourown.org.uk? I know it's not everyones cup of tea tho!

Best thing to do would be to choose the ones you like from the above brands, and then note their specs, esp graphics cards etc, then go to a shop like www.microdirect.com and see how much they sell for, usually, the more expensive is the better - so that should give you and idea of how much you are paying for that particular brand.

I can't really speak for mesh's customer service as I've not had any experience of them, but I know Dell are amazing when it comes to customer service - they were really helpful when I wanted to change my monitor.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2007, 08:23 AM
How about a new German company called Maxdata most of there pc's are for business use see pc worlds business site

Any way you get

Features:

PSU 350 Watt ATX/BTX Delta 120mm AC-Out (power supply + case)
MB ASUS P5VDC-TVM TE Rev.A2 mATX P4M900 (Motherboard)
CPU PC Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1,86Ghz 4M (Processor)
Cooler INTEL EKL (Heat sink)(goes on top of the processor)
Logo Plate Maxdata ME-silver Favorit (Manufactures sticker)
1024MB-DDR2-667MHz Elpida eTT (RAM)
DVD RW +/-RAM TSST SH-S182D black (DVD Rewriter)
HDD SATA II 250GB Samsung SP2504C (Harddrive)
KB Cherry J82 black w Vista Key UK (Keyboard)
Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical black RoHs (mouse)
128MB On-board Graphics
2yrs RTB Warranty
Dimensions: 192(W) x 427 (H) x 430 (D) mm

This can also be upgrade to use PCI E cards as well but since you don't need it for gaming the on board graphics will be fine for you

You'll have to buy the vdu + speakers separately so you'll be able to buy what you want and not what you’re given.

You could get a nice LG 19" vdu or smaller if you want to save on your cash if you went for a 17" Viewsonic instead you get speakers in the vdu so with the smaller VDU and no exturnal speakers it will be £470.55

19" VDU

17" VDU

With Logitech Speakers to finish

With Vista Home Premium all for £489.60 delivered next day to your door
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Here is a long post with regards to my mesh expierience

Last august Storm had just died and Skye was about to arrive so I thought I would treat myself to a new pc, no time to build with having a new pup about. I went to mesh and spent just over £1000 on a new pc, the value was the main reason.

I ordered the pc on a Wednesday and was told it would arrive(£30 delivery) the next Wednesday, that came and went despite waiting in all day. I phone and was told it had been sent and would be hear for 8pm, that time past still no pc. Thursday came and still no pc by 12noon so I rang again they said it will definitely here today. Thursday came and went still no pc. I phoned first thing Friday to be told that they had tried to deliver the pc but there were either no answer, waiting in solid so that was not true or the most likely reason they could not find my house, this I could understand if I lived the sticks but I live in a main city just off one of the main roads, add to the fact a friend who lives five doors down got his delivered the same day made me laugh. I asked when would I get it then and was told they don't deliver weekends and it was a bank holiday so they would resend it out on the Tuesday and I should get it by Thursday, over A week after the first date I paid £30 for. In the end I went to the local depot myself and picked it up, I asked for the delivery fee to be refunded only for them to say no as it was my choice to pick it up and not wait.

About a day after getting the pc I noticed a clicking for the HDD, I knew this was not healthy and would phone them, but after about a day it stopped so I thought nothing of it until it started happening again, then I rang straight away, no answer, I tried over 2weeks up to an hour a time and got no answer, I also sent emails that they say will be answered in 3-5 days, over a year now and still waiting :LOL: . Finally I got through and they said they would have an engineer out in 2 days, this time they did. He looked at the HDD and said it needed replacing, he tried there and then but the new HDD did not work, nor did the 2nd one he tried, he put the old one back so I had a pc to use until they could arrange to pick it up, but that did not work either.

They gave me a day they would pick it up and could I have the pc boxed up, now I don't know about other people but I don't keep boxes for months after buying something, I told them this and they said use a box from a supermarket or something, now after the trouble with them I was not risking the pc being damaged and them saying Its my fault the pc is damaged and them not repairing it so I asked if they could send a box, yes they said, £25 please. This was the last straw and I asked for a full refund as the pc was not fit for purpose, I was told they cant as I did not report the fault asap, this was despite me trying to. I went to trading standards and then just after I was offered a full replacement and a box for the old one, fine I said and dates were gave and kept, my old pc left and my new pc came, but with me being a suspicious time I had put a small sticker underneath the case and sure enough the new pc and the same sticker, I was back on the phone for hours to get hold of them to find out why my replacement system Is my old one, I was told they use the same case due to some law relating to windows xp but all the parts are new, I was happy with this but still had a check, the parts inside were either the same parts or they use old looking dusty parts, phoned again and was told this time that the ones who was to build the new system and been given the wrong notes and replaced the HDD, but if I still wanted the new system I could send it back and would get a new one this time, case included. The pc was working fine now so I did no want to let them near the pc again so left it at that. So in January 2007 I had a pc at last, a pc ordered in august 2006. It had the fan fall off the CPU since but that was sorted easily and the keyboard and mouse have failed, not a problem as I use my old ones that I like better..

There is hundreds of others like me who have had trouble with mesh and have even been on watchdog since, they seem to be working on that side but people still have problems.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >