Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Nigredo today

Doing very, very well. I have taken his leash and whatnot off him and am merely keeping an eye on him. He's back to walking like his normal, goofy, wonky self.

He did go a bit overboard and started running all over, so I called him back to the porch for a chill out and a sit down... but overall he's doing great. I did get mother to snag another 7 day dose of medication, but will not use it as he's doing very well and don't want to go overboard with it.

He's getting REALLY, REALLY fat so going to get working on that as soon as he's totally well again.

Freedom

His face says it all

Let's check out the garbage cans...

After I made him come back and hold a stay... he soooo wanted to run back out

His sidekick came to check on him

Let him sit... gave him a piece of cat food

Came in and jumped up... OH NIGREDO!!

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Sometimes I think its best to leave them loose and it gives you the opportunity to train and I found they seem to know not to over do it.
Glad he is doing well.

Hope you don't mind me mentioning it Myra but cat food is very high in protein not good for dogs where as dog food is a lower protein not good for cats.
A vet told me this many years ago when we had our first puppy Max and we were chatting and she asked if we had cats and when I said yes she warned me against letting Max eat cat food.
That is why dogs try to eat cat pooh.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 05:52 PM
He's looking much happier today Myra, glad to see he's turned a corner
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Yes, I have heard it's bad for dogs. I've taken it from his meals, and only give a tidbit as a treat every now and then. He's packing on the pounds steadily recently...

At over 86 lbs at less than 20 months... I'm going to be making some serious changes in the near future/now. He's unhappy with his reduced food and though I know it's best for him... he's really being annoying about it.

Funny thing is... vet said he wasn't fat! CLEARLY, this dog is a fatty But I'm aware and will be working towards thinning him out ASAP.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2014, 06:00 PM
What about green beans steamed I do this to fill them up without piling on the pounds. Once he can get back to exercising I am sure he will work it off.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Will he eat that Lynn? My dogs do not have a real rapport with vegetables. I'm admittedly not a nutrition guru and I only feed him the proper-ish amount for his breed and whatnot.

He is currently on this, recommended by someone as a less grainy food than his previous food, which might be better suited to my fatso.

http://www.midamericapetfood.com/vic...d/highpro.html

How much should I feed and like how much should I mix the other ingredients in? I'm so clueless I feel like an idiot...
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Glad his leg is doing better - lovely shiny coat!

How much are you feeding him at the mo?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
About 3 1/2 cup of the listed food. Less than listed and wayyyy less than he is used to eating. He has plenty enough FAT... in his diet so that his coat looks nice and healthy
Canine K9
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Gorgeous boy!
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2014, 06:47 PM
LOL

Feeding guides are just that; guides
If I fed Ripley the recommend amount, she'd be a barrel!! When fed dry, she only gets around 50g a day, instead of the 150g - 200g they say for her! All dogs have different metabolisms

If he wont each normal veggies, you could try blitzing them up to a mush. They should help make dogs feel fuller without adding calories
If he's not losing weight on 3 1/2, maybe try 3 cups bulked out with a cup of veggies and see how he does
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >