smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Damn it----and I was going to buy Etta a new dress for the silver test. LOL

rune
LOL
You would be surprised what some dogs turn up in. If they spent less time worrying about collars and leads and more about a legally compliant tag, more of them would get their Tests first time!

Last weekend I had three people turn up with non legally compliant tags.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I've always used one when I took Luke out to high traffic areas. NOT because he pulls, becuase he never has. The boy was born to walk on a leash I think lol. But because...at the end of the day he is a dog, that outweighs me by fifty pounds, is stronger than I'll ever be, and no matter how well trained, is still that, a dog. I NEVER take for granted that I can forsee every single situation that may come up in the future. So, he wears one for that one in a million time where something just might make him lunge, pull or go after something where I need the extra boost in control. Because let's face it people, even with the chain...if he REALLY wants to go? I'm gone baby. lol. Off I go....flying through the air like that granny on the commercial.
I see nothing wrong with them IF they are used correctly. They aren't supposed to choke.If they do then it's being done wrong. I'd rather have the chain on him and have that extra security, than wear a flat buckle collar which he also has on...and have a situation arise where it breaks, comes off...just so I can walk around saying I don't need tools to walk my dog, or I'm not a meanie.
Anyone that knows me knows that Luke is akin to God to me...actually I'm more apt to tell god off than him so...there's no choking going on here.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
This^^^ I very much agree with his, I use them because the dogs can't pull out of them, neither of mine are pullers either, but dogs are dogs, they get scared, pull back slip out of collars & such. I have had that happen before, so now I use chains.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Head halters are much kinder and achieve better control than a choke chain and do not carry the risks to the trachea etc that chains do!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
I've always used one when I took Luke out to high traffic areas. NOT because he pulls, becuase he never has. The boy was born to walk on a leash I think lol. But because...at the end of the day he is a dog, that outweighs me by fifty pounds, is stronger than I'll ever be, and no matter how well trained, is still that, a dog. I NEVER take for granted that I can forsee every single situation that may come up in the future. So, he wears one for that one in a million time where something just might make him lunge, pull or go after something where I need the extra boost in control. Because let's face it people, even with the chain...if he REALLY wants to go? I'm gone baby. lol. Off I go....flying through the air like that granny on the commercial.
I see nothing wrong with them IF they are used correctly. They aren't supposed to choke.If they do then it's being done wrong. I'd rather have the chain on him and have that extra security, than wear a flat buckle collar which he also has on...and have a situation arise where it breaks, comes off...just so I can walk around saying I don't need tools to walk my dog, or I'm not a meanie.
Anyone that knows me knows that Luke is akin to God to me...actually I'm more apt to tell god off than him so...there's no choking going on here.
Hmm....odd reasoning IMO.

If (by your own admission) he really wanted to go, he still could even with a chain on. IMO your logic is floored.

By all means have a second collar on for security or even a sensi-ble harness and a double lead.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:18 AM
I've never used a choker chain. I cant see that they resolve any issues. If a dog wants to lunge & drag you halfway along the road for whatever reason..it wont matter what youve got on him/her theyre gonna do it regardless.

When I first got Khal I needed to find out 'safely' what he ws like on a walk in all different circumstances ie main roads, parks, woods etc etc
I used a normal collar & lead & also a slipon leader (sorry dont know what theyre actually called lol) so the lead goes round his neck & if he pulled it did tighten but in a much more friendly manner than any chain would.
It was more of safety precaution than anything case he slipped the collar.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post

Would you consider a half check rather than a check (choke) chain.

I think dogs like ours are quite susceptible to injury with the very short close coat - nothing to protect the throat. If its the reasoning the dog wont pull out of a check, perhaps the half check would give you peace of mind - link below which shows what they are like

Personally i use a harnesses

http://www.petstuffgalore.co.uk/dog-...ar-medium.html
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
i havnt read all of this post but just wanted to say i use a check chain on phoebe and always have done. This is not what i walk her on its a back up in case her halti fails, but my husband does use the chain. I have never used it to choke her but do agree if she starts having a tantrum on a walk and she is pulling one way while im trying to walk on it prob gets tight, but in that situation i need to make her walk on and thats my concern. If it hurt im sure she would stop. She is a very big dog and has a thick chain as a thin one would cut in to much.

I dont think they are suitable for small dogs - i think small dogs should be on a harness as there necks are so small to withstand any sort of pressure either by them pulling of the owner.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I've never used a choker chain. I cant see that they resolve any issues. If a dog wants to lunge & drag you halfway along the road for whatever reason..it wont matter what youve got on him/her theyre gonna do it regardless.

When I first got Khal I needed to find out 'safely' what he ws like on a walk in all different circumstances ie main roads, parks, woods etc etc
I used a normal collar & lead & also a slipon leader (sorry dont know what theyre actually called lol) so the lead goes round his neck & if he pulled it did tighten but in a much more friendly manner than any chain would.
It was more of safety precaution than anything case he slipped the collar.
sorry how is that different, both do the same thing. check chain and slip leads are the same
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »