View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Guess What I've Got From Freecycle Now!!

Yesterday afternoon (my day off), I was online when a barrage of emails came through from freecycle. I rush to see whats on them as a lot of people have a first come first served approach.

Bits and pieces galore but nothing that I really needed until up popped a message "white bathroom suite" in Peterborough. At the bungalow I had before the mobile home I had before Snowdrop Cottage I had the most wonderful corner unit bathroom suite installed, I loved it and neither bathroom has ever come close to it. The one here is a white enamel bath, or rather it was, all the enamal has flaked away and it always looks a rather dirty colour, regardless of whether its just been cleaned or not. The bathroom consists of a bath with overhead electric powershower and wash basin, the toilet is next door.

Well, I read bit further down this email and blow me, it was only a white corner suite, as new. Before I realised what I was doing I had sent a little message off saying I would like it if it was still available. A short while later I received an email from the member saying that 3 people had applied, it was going to be first come first served and could I ring her.

I started to chicken out a bit at this point. What did I want to take a bath for now when I've got so many other things to do around here before I even think about changing unimportant things? My norty hands starting dialling the number and before I knew it I was talking to this lady, she asked where I was from and some other questions. She said that I was a long way from her and did I really want to go all that way for it, I sighed and admitted that I wasn't desperate, even though I had a yucky bath there was probably someone in greater need of it than me and someone that was more local to her if she wanted to offer it to them. We had a bit of a chat and I was gradually talking myself out of going to get it, I suggested she speak to the other interested parties and then get back to me if it was still available.

To my delight she said that she wanted me to have it but could I go last night at about 7.30? No problem, its only about 30 miles away so I would see her then.

Oh no I didn't, 90 miles and 2 hours later I think I had seen just about every street in Peterborough, had been in every newsagents for directions and accosted many innocent passers by. They were well-meaning enough but kept sending me in different directions. If the security cameras were switched on at Ikea they would have had a field day laughing at me going round and round this roundabout unable to find a way off it.

In the end I phoned the lady again, I was running out of diesel and phone credit and had no money on me to do anythign about either. I said to her that I was so sorry to have wasted her evening but I couldn't find her and I was going to have to go home.

Do you know what she said?.......... stay there dear, I'm coming to get you ! It took her over 1/2 an hour but she found me, we drove to hers which took about 10 minutes (I would never have found it), her hubby had the kettle on and we had a nice cup of tea.

The bathroom suite is brand new, they have just moved into the bungalow and the vendors had it fitted to sell the house, they wanted a big bath with handles as they are getting on so this suite had to go, and it did, straight into the back of my Picasso.

I eventually got home just after 11.30, it was only 25 miles from her house and 35 minutes drive away.

Now all I've got to do is save up for a plumber and I'll have a lovely luxury bathroom in my beautiful little cottage. Then the toilet and basin can go into the 3rd bedroom so visitors will have an upstairs cloakroom, I can make the current toilet into a room for the inseason girlies (theres a window that I can knock through to make a door into the garden).

Mum and Dad are thrilled for me but I had to promise them that I wouldn't attempt to install it myself, lol.

Hoorah for Freecycle
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Wow - well done
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 05:49 PM
great news Sheree. There is no end to your energy and determination.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Well done! Freecycle can be great!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Well done Sheree. Perhaps you'll get a plumber on free cycle too Lol
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone

Now there's a thought Eunice, I must think of a catchy advert to appeal to one, lol, maybe I could get a brickie and a fencer too he he.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh Sheree,I wish you'd of had my number.... me, Alfie n Daisy could've come to save you , We do cups of tea and doggie kisses lol !
Was it all them roundabouts that threw you ?
I saw the suite on freecycle as well.If you come to Peterborough on a freecycle miission again PM me and i'll give you rough directions from the A1 or A47 whichever you come in on (Brains not quite working at the mo,i've had a few vodkas lol ! )
Glad you're pleased with the suite,I've been too chicken to reply to anything that i wanted off there.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks Tink,it did go through my mind why hadn't I checked with you, it all happened so quickly and it looked so easy on the multimap. I had to get on the A605 but end up at Orton Waterville, I just couldn't find it

Don't be chicken about Freecycle, its as friendly as you want it to be, I've been told a couple of times that I wasn't the first response but I was the most polite, I've had some very aggresive replies when I've advertised, and some real sob stories as to why they should have the item. I just try to keep it on a friendly level and its worked so far for me.

Pity I didn't get my cuppa at yours together with the doggy licks and cuddles, much better than sitting in a lonely old car, lol
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Orton's about ten minutes from me lol !
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >