Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snow Saints
New Member!
Male 

06-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Leg Injury Help Please

hello all,

one of our girls injured her back leg 2 days ago...she was standing with her front legs on the couch on the porch and she kinda hopped/pushed off and turned and her back leg apparently her foot got caught/stuck as she rotated....this was her right rear leg and she turned to her left so her foot stayed straight forward and her leg turned away from the foot effectively the same as if you grabbed the foot and twisted it outward moving the toes towards you

when this happened she let out a small quick and suprised whine/yelp and went on like nothing happened except not wanting to put much weight on it...she would/and is walking normal except when her foot touches the floor she simply "steps lightly" on it....

now here things got weird....we laid her down right away and it was immediately "swollen" to over twice the size of the other and hard as a bone...literally hard as a bone......where the "hollow" is at the back of the leg between the tendon and the bone is nonexistant....just one big hard area........this was maybe 30 seconds after the injury and we just can't fathom a sprained ankle or torn tendon being that huge that fast. she doesn't seem like it hurts her when we feel on it at all, she just favors it a bit when she walks. and I emphasize again....OVER twice the size and HARD as a bone. We are new to the area and haven't found a vet yet, plus she doesn't mind at all when we feel around on it and she is eating and drinking just like normal...but we are starting to get concerned so wanted to see what y'all think? Also, anyone have any recommendations for a good down to earth common sense old fashioned country vet anywhere around the Spokane WA area?

Thanks so much for y'alls time!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Hopefully one of the US contributors will be able to help with a suitable vet.

Is it possible that she already had an injury/problem there and that's why the leg didn't move when she turned? It could be one explanation for the 'immediate' reaction.

I think a vet visit is your only course of action.
Snow Saints
New Member!
Male 

06-10-2012, 09:37 AM
sorry, I got distracted in the middle of posting, that's what I was going to say about the "immediate swelling".....it is so much bigger than the other that I truly don't think there is anyway we woulda not noticed it before unless it was within the immediate days prior, and she definetely didn't have a limp before

and I just realized reading other posts that it seems everyone in on the other side of the pond

thanks for your time, much appreciated