View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lill-mark
New Member!
Male 

06-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Hello (retrieving from a Lurcher, advice please )

hello to you all on here im new to this site and im in need of some help...
I have a 10 month ald lurcher she had fer first kill last night. I slipt her on a rabbit on the lamp she had the rabbit and then would not retrive to me she just ran of home with the rabbit ...
She will retrive a ball back to hand but not a rabbit..
what do i need to do???
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Try using a dummy covered in rabbit skin (you can get these from any game fair, normally around £6 but are treated and so arent as good as "proper" rabbit skins).

At the moment it's all a game to her and all rather novel. I assume you would train a lurcher to retrieve in the same way you would train a gundog. Just start off in the garden with the dummy and encourage her to bring it back to you, giving lots of praise when she does.

It's all part of teaching them they are working for you, not themselves and all retrieves must be brought back to you. What did she do with the rabbit when she'd ran home with it?

A ball is just a toy, a rabbit she's caught is a totally different thing and the dog isnt stupid, she knows it's dinner potentially. Once you have mastered the rabbit skin dummy, then move onto cold game perhaps, all the while pressing home to her that anything she fetches she cannot just run off with.
lill-mark
New Member!
Male 

07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
she just droped it in the front room