Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Males or females? [in groups]

So from your experience, what combinations work best in a home environment?

When living with my parents we had 2 bitches, absolutley no problems at all, but iv heard some horror stories about 2 bitches living together.

Now we have 2 boys and 1 bitch, all of them get on brilliantly, but when we come to having another dog [in a good few years] what do we do?
Another boy, or another bitch?

Pro's and con's??
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I have had

1 bitch and 4 males - the bitch was spayed and the elder fo the bunch

Now I have 4 males and I wouldn't add a bitch at this stage for fear of upsetting the balance - all my males are entire - whilst I don't think we would have issues I just don't think it would be fair on them.

In order to give an opinion on your situation could you confirm if any of yours have been neutered and the ages.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I think it is such an individual thing regarding different breeds and individual temperaments. There is no definitive answer.

However, I think it is always a good idea to have a mix of sexes, depending on how many dogs you have.

I currently have two dogs (one entire/one neutered) and a spayed bitch. Until earlier this year, I also had another male who was neutered - so three dogs and one bitch. All got on fine. I am planning a pup for the foreseeable future and would definitely prefer another male (just because they are my preference) although a bitch might be the "safer" option (but not necessarily )

My hubby only has two bitches and the rest of his gang are dogs (they are his preference too) but there are occasional skirmishes and fights between the males but never really anything serious. However, the two bitches (mother and daughter) hate each other and have to be kept separate unless there is someone to supervise them, otherwise they will fight ... and they mean it!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I have had

1 bitch and 4 males - the bitch was spayed and the elder fo the bunch

Now I have 4 males and I wouldn't add a bitch at this stage for fear of upsetting the balance - all my males are entire - whilst I don't think we would have issues I just don't think it would be fair on them.

In order to give an opinion on your situation could you confirm if any of yours have been neutered and the ages.
Flint- 3years old in November, nuetered male BC X
Simba- 18month old, nuetered male BC
Gemma- 11 month old, no yet nuetered, but will be, female BC
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 10:40 AM
If your dogs are all reasonably friendly and tolerant of other dogs, I would say that it is YOUR choice which sex you decide to get next. Do you have a preference?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think it is such an individual thing regarding different breeds and individual temperaments. There is no definitive answer.

However, I think it is always a good idea to have a mix of sexes, depending on how many dogs you have.

I currently have two dogs (one entire/one neutered) and a spayed bitch. Until earlier this year, I also had another male who was neutered - so three dogs and one bitch. All got on fine. I am planning a pup for the foreseeable future and would definitely prefer another male (just because they are my preference) although a bitch might be the "safer" option (but not necessarily )

My hubby only has two bitches and the rest of his gang are dogs (they are his preference too) but there are occasional skirmishes and fights between the males but never really anything serious. However, the two bitches (mother and daughter) hate each other and have to be kept separate unless there is someone to supervise them, otherwise they will fight ... and they mean it!

I must say, males are my preference, but if all girls had Gemmas temprement Id have no problem having more girlies lol.

I wouldnt want to bring in another dog that would upset the balance, but I know in a few years we will have another dog...just difficult to know what to do for the best lol
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I've got two bitches. Roxy is a rescue and was 5 years old when I got her when Molly was 3.

They have got on fantastically well since the beginning (over 5 years ago) and have never, ever had a problem between them at all.

I can also bring any dog in to the house - dog or bitch - without problems, obviously so long as that dog is fine with other dogs.

So, my dogs are fine with both dogs and bitches.

I think it depends very much on the individual dogs to be honest and my two are both spayed, which I think helps!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 11:25 AM
It depends on the individual dogs really and to some extent the breed. My friend always had multiple dogs with a mix of ages, sexes, both entire and neutered. With her shar-pei, she rarely had a problem with fighting, but most of them were related and born there. Even when she had a couple of stud dogs, it was rarely the males that were the trouble makers and any fights that drew blood were always between the females. Before that she had rotties and akitas and she had to be far more careful with those as some females in particular really didn't get on.

I don't think I would ever have two females together again after the first and last time I did with my first two shar-pei. Their bloodline was well known for being on the fiery side temperament wise and I ended up with a mother and daughter. They were brilliant 95% of the time, but the other 5% consisted of them trying to kill each other. You really couldn't trust them alone and food/toys were big flashpoints.

Since I got my Tibetan Mastiff, life with him and a succession of female shar-pei has been so much more relaxed. Unless I change my breeds, I can't see me personally having two females together again. Maybe if I had more than two I'd consider it.

kate_7590, I'd just wait and see what happens. You never know what the future holds and I'm sure whatever happens you'll have ther right dog come into your life.
k9walkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
So from your experience, what combinations work best in a home environment?

When living with my parents we had 2 bitches, absolutley no problems at all, but iv heard some horror stories about 2 bitches living together.

Now we have 2 boys and 1 bitch, all of them get on brilliantly, but when we come to having another dog [in a good few years] what do we do?
Another boy, or another bitch?

Pro's and con's??
I always have preferred boys there more easy going friendly and calm I think
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Flint- 3years old in November, nuetered male BC X
Simba- 18month old, nuetered male BC
Gemma- 11 month old, no yet nuetered, but will be, female BC
Hi based on that I would go for another male - as I would want a much bigger age gap between the two females personally. But then I do have a soft spot for the boys too!

And so much depends on the dog / breed sometimes!

Good luck with whatever you do - hope you enjoy being a 4 dog household and be prepared for "you've got your hands full" comments alot - but suspect you have that anyway!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >