View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:35 AM
On - well, at least the house collar in the case of Nancy. Was glad I did leave it on when she escaped - meant she had her ID tags on, and a collar meaning she could easily be caught and detained by the woman who found her... likely I'd have got her back pretty quickly anyway via her ID chip - but only because the woman who found her worked at the local vets and could have chip scanned her there... would have probably been longer to get her back otherwise.
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Mine don't wear collars in the house - and quite often I forget to put them on again when we go out. (Luckily they are both very good and are always with me or nearby, and neither leave the front garden if they do get out there - we've no gate, they just know their boundaries.)

When they do have their collars on when we're out, normally they end up soaking wet because the dogs love to swim in the lake, river, etc. so the collar comes off to dry and, more importantly, so that their necks can dry off properly.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Betsy has her fabric collar on at all times. She is our only dog and supervised virtually 24/7. She doesn't seem to notice it and I'm paranoid she could somehow escape....!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Axel has a house collar on all the time and then swapped for his martingale for walks. We like having something to grab if needed.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My dogs` collars come off when we get in. Having GSD`s you want their lovely ruff to remain undamaged.
The other reason being that when getting ready for a walk one day, one dog playfully grabbed another round the neck - and got his teeth stuck in her collar. Luckily I was right there to yank the collar off but I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn`t been.
This is why I always take the collars off as soon as we get home. I once heard an awful story about two dogs getting tangled
Our rescue dog has been known to open the door & let himself out so we keep our back door locked at all times.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Collar comes off as soon as we come home, though it'll stay on if we're out visiting - gives something to grab onto, rather than fur, just incase! Rogan loves having the collar put on, as it means WALKIES!, but equally loves getting a good neck scratch when it comes off
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Bailiie's collar is taken off when back in from our walks. It is only ever left on in the house if we are away from home, either at my mums or in the holiday cottage but then it comes off before bed; she never sleeps in her collar.
I don't like the marks collars leave on their skin when worn all the time - Molly had a big bald patch with wearing hers all the time

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Jimmi's colllar comes off at bedtime, I just worry that he will have a scratch in the night and get his foot caught!

It did happen to our first dog, he disappeared one day and after searching the vast acres of the garden I discovered him lying in a pathetic heap with a front paw well and truly stuck inside the collar. Goodness only knows how he did it.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Oh poor thing, Bitkin. I suppose that's an argument for not leaving a collar on.

Many thanks for all the comments. It is a dilemma, I can see reasons for and against. If they keep them on then they have always got ID on if they do somehow get out, and they're easy to grab if necessary. On the other hand the collar can get caught on something - and mine do have a tendency to chew each other throats.

Still thinking about it!
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Don't take Maggie's off unless she's having a bath then it goes back on once collar and dog are both dry! No chance of it getting caught while playing as she's our only dog and all door handles are too high for it to get caught. It doesn't bother her at all and doesn't mark her fur or skin, plus it gives me reassurance in case she ever gets out of the garden as its happened twice now even though fence and gate are approx. 6ft. She's a very good escape artist when she sees the cats roaming the back streets!!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >