Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sueann
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2012, 12:26 AM

Removing front fangs

I have a Staffie who is not particularly animal friendly and sometimes I worry what would happen if, when I was walking him, he got into a fight with another dog. I take all precautions (except for a muzzle..haven't tried that yet) but still it might happen. It doesn't make for a restful walk, you know?
I was talking at work the other day about it and one of the other ladies said she had a friend with a similiar situation. This other lady (apparently) had her dogs front fangs (can't remember the proper term..you know, the 2 big ones top and bottom) removed by a vet. I'd never ever heard of such a thing and, quite frankly, it horrified me. I suppose they don't really use them. At least my dog doesn't. His food is not trying to run away! So he doesn't need to grip it.
Has anyone else heard of this?
The theory goes that without those particular teeth, while he could still do damage, he can't grip and it won't really affect his eating or anything else.
Maybe it is effective but I don't know...I just don't like the sound of it. A bit like de-clawing cats...don't like that either.
what do you all think?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:01 AM
I personally find that a no goer.....TBH I'd rather use a muzzle.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2012, 06:52 AM
i can't believe anybody could contemplate "Taking teeth out!" full stop. A muzzle, for prevention. Training for the Dog, and ESPECIALLY for YOU! Or find an somebody who is prepared to put the effort, that is required, to being a responsible owner. POOR DOG!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 07:20 AM
This is a wind-up, yes?
I can`t imagine any vet doing this - they`d be struck off.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Frankly, I'm horrified that anyone would even consider having some of their dogs teeth removed for any reason other than medical necessity. If you are concerned that your dog may attack another dog, go out and buy a muzzle and then use it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
This is a wind-up, yes?
I can`t imagine any vet doing this - they`d be struck off.
I hope so!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:11 AM
The OP is in Australia, which could have a bearing on the post. I have certainly heard of vets in the US cutting vocal chords of noisy dogs on their owner's request

I find both practices completely unacceptable.

If your dog is aggressive to other dogs and unpredictable then he should wear a muzzle and be on a leash at all times when out. Problem solved.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Buy a muzzle, but remember to introduce it slowly so that the dog has positive associations with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVq_DrTWZeo

A muzzle will stop him being able to use any of his teeth on a dog he meets on walks, but in a much more humane way! Damage can still be done even with a muzzle on, but you also have the benefit that most people will avoid you with a muzzled dog which makes management much easier. If someone lets their off-lead dog run over to an on-lead, muzzled dog, they've had a fair bit of visual warning and I imagine the DW/law would see you as the one with your dog under better control, even if the off-lead dog was injured worse. Whereas if an off-lead dog was to run over to your 'de-toothed' dog and get harmed, I don't think you'd look quite as responsible.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:30 AM
I can hardly believe I am reading this! Taking measures to ensure that if and when your dog DOES bite someone - it won't inflict as much damage as it could if it still had ALL its teeth?

Geezus. If your dog cannot be trusted - muzzle it and keep it under your control at all times.

I doubt it would be any consolation to anyone it did bite to be told 'they were lucky it could have been a lot worse if you hadn't had some of its teeth extracted'.

Good grief.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:43 AM
yuck!
I have heard of them doing that to captive monkeys to let them sort out order without killing each other - and I hated it

In dogs - no no no
sure it would stop some physical damage - but the mental damage of being attacked is still huge. Muzzle, no teeth whatever the most important thing is keeping an agressve dog unable to aggress at another dog
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >