Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SockPuppy
New Member!
Male 

09-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Fixated Dog

My black lab mix has trouble breaking her fixation when she "locks on" to something. When im at home she always gives me her focus when I say her name and I return her good behavior with a treat. When I go outside she no longer responds and doesnt focus. How can I improve her attention?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 09:54 PM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY
Sorry have no advice to offer,hopefully other members will
Good luck
SockPuppy
New Member!
Male 

09-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
WELCOME TO DOGSEY
Sorry have no advice to offer,hopefully other members will
Good luck
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I see you have a Shih tzu,happy days,me too Her name is Lacey,she's 10 years old and a wee doll
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Welcome to Dogsey. Can't help with the fixation. Never had a dog that got fixated on anything.
SockPuppy
New Member!
Male 

09-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Welcome to Dogsey. Can't help with the fixation. Never had a dog that got fixated on anything.
Yeah I've raised a couple of dogs in my lifetime but I've never met one with such a strong fixation. She finds something she wants to stare at (people, dogs, cars, leaves, bug, etc.) and will do nothing but stare at it. Even when I try to move her head, there is so much resistance that I'm afraid to hurt her and she won't respond to treats or toys either.
SockPuppy
New Member!
Male 

09-11-2013, 11:01 PM
I should probably also mention that she has a strong prey drive and I'd be happy for some advice on how to reduce or control that behavior as well
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 11:21 PM
I am sure you WILL get good advice on here. Just that it is almost half past one in the morning. So maybe tomorrow!

Meanwhile this will bump it up a bit for you.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi welcome. Oscar my Chi is the same. We can get his attention no probs in the house but when he's out he just focuses on things and doesn't listen, we keep him on an extendable lead as he wouldn't come back if he got fixated on something. Though he can be a very smart dog.
SockPuppy
New Member!
Male 

10-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by miz66 View Post
Hi welcome. Oscar my Chi is the same. We can get his attention no probs in the house but when he's out he just focuses on things and doesn't listen, we keep him on an extendable lead as he wouldn't come back if he got fixated on something. Though he can be a very smart dog.
Same story here. I've had my pup for about a year now and I chose to let the behavior persist without addressing it. However, my mother sometimes watches her and I'm afraid it may be difficult for her to handle a dog who is difficult to move. Plus, I feel that I should be more active in my dogs life because I recently experienced a loss and life is too short
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >