Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Number 4?

Well Adie finally chose a job yesterday, 1st Rifles. He starts his training 15th May 2011...so In June/July, I will be looking for a 4th dog.

Sadie - part owned, will only see her one week every month. Benjie - cannot control him on my own.
Louie - staying with me, but if I get a more permanent/more hours job, he will be on his own, hence getting another dog..(well I want another one that I can handle so it's not that I am getting a dog for Louie)

I originally thought Greyhound and it's still there, so if you greyhound lovers will help me, I need a grey that is good with small animals...I know I may not find that but here's hoping.
One that is fit enough to go for long walks - I know I may have to build it up, one that is good with other dogs - all my 3 will be visiting the dog I find at the rescue, because although I may not have Benjie and Sadie on a permanent basis - I need to be sure that there will be no fighting or squabbles if visits happen or I need to have Sadie or Benjie for a short period of time, and a good traveller. Oh and most importantly - I need a girl, preferably a bit of a bossy one - but not too bossy. I don't want Louie getting out of line, but I want them to be able to play (Basically I want Sadie in Greyhound form ) Plus I think there is more chance of Benjie accepting a female than a male.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of any non grey dogs that need help or a good home - I would like to look into them too...
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm sure there was a thread in one of the rescue/breed sections about greyhounds that were good with cats with ones in different stages of cat testing.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I'm sure there was a thread in one of the rescue/breed sections about greyhounds that were good with cats with ones in different stages of cat testing.
It's not cat's I'm worried about - I have 7 rabbits They will be secured though - we're going to have them in a brick shed - with an open front, with a dog pen fence and gate leading in - due to foxes and wild rabbits.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Try your local RGT Aimee , they are really good at matching dogs to owners needs and my local lets you take them home to try them out in your home just to make sure it all works out , Tom went and met Bella 2-3 times at the kennels and I walked them together , I took her home for the weekend to make sure he accepted her in his house and she never went back !
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 11:27 AM
If it's any help - next door to my in-laws have retired greyhound sofa-hoggers... and they keep chickens with no problems at all (mother-in-law is stand-in chicken keeper and egg collector when they're away)! They also have occasional visits into the garden from sheep who emerge unscathed (unlike the plants).
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Some lovely hounds here Aimee

http://www.kerrygreyhounds.co.uk/
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks - I've emailed the RGT Nottingham and found a couple of girls I am interested in, but as it is a few months until I can bring one into the mix, without it being unfair, I have asked them that with my requirements to keep an eye out, if not I will always foster a rescue dog - that way Louie is never alone and I'm still saving a life - if not more than one.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Get a Crestie
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Get a Crestie
If only I could! I think Adie would need Ludi kisses and to do something extremely cute before he allows me to have one - although he is going away and will have no idea...it could be a shrunken greyhound that spent too long on the sunbed, got burnt to a blackish colour and the hair fell off the body!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 03:02 PM
There are several greyhounds and lurchers available at the rescue I've mentioned to you before...some are small animal friendly/workable so some good possibilities. I know it's a couple of months away, but plenty of them have been around a while.
Axel is certainly interested in small things that move, but is easily controllable and I think in time would tolerate small animals. There are some who's prey drive will always be high, but others are highly trainable and happy to retire!
You have a couple of months so plenty of time to scout around. With the exercise, a lurcher would be more likely to do hikes off the bat, but a Greyhound can learn. (Axel did an hour and a half walk on Sunday without lying down at all!!!!)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >