View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:48 PM
There is no way that a pack of feral dogs killing prey can be compared to a pack of
Captive hounds being set upon a fox, followed by lots of
people on horseback who are having a jolly time. Get real!

If foxes need to be controlled there are
more humane and cost effective ways of doing it than a fox 'hunt' I suspect everyone on this thread knows that.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its not blinkered, its true. Im LIVING in it and seeing it every day, and dealing with it too. To my knowledge my town has not encroached on ANY countryside, yet the numbers of urban foxes are increasing. Why is that?
I'm curious -- how do foxes effect your life negatively in suburbia? I've never really understood this. There are tons of foxes around here, including a cheeky little git that sits on our back doorstep taunting our dogs through the door. I just don't get what "problems" they can cause your average person in suburbia that are not preventable?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
There is no way that a pack of feral dogs killing prey can be compared to a pack of

more humane and cost effective ways of doing it than a fox 'hunt' I suspect everyone on this thread knows that.
can i ask you what a more humane way would be? poison, shooting etc? what about getting rid of rats then? would you rather they be posioned or let terriers get them?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:51 PM
well my lot hunt in a pack, i've seen with my own eyes, one driving a duck towards the other who was waiting in the reeds to pounce, and i've seen the 5 of them rip apart a rabbit that one has caught (i have to say it was dead) by the time they got to it, i haven't taught them to do it, neither can i stop them its in their nature
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I agree. Although there is also a world of difference between a person who will take a clean shot and want to kill an animal as quickly as possible, and the kind of person who would torture an animal to death
Absolutely

I was thinking more along the basic biological/evolutionary drive for the behaviour and why some would enjoy hunting for sport.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

Battery farmed chickens are cheaper than free range, does that make it right because it's cost effective? Even some supposedly free range chickens don't really lead normal lives, yet we're willing to accept compromises to ease our conscience in telling us it must be a better life and death for them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
because of the ban
How are you personally affected by foxes in your suburban home, Clo? do they have a negative affect on your life on a daily basis?

I also wonder if anyone has any population statistics on the numbers of foxes prior to the ban on hunting compared to now?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Battery farmed chickens are cheaper than free range, does that make it right because it's cost effective? Even some supposedly free range chickens don't really lead normal lives, yet we're willing to accept compromises to ease our conscience in telling us it must be a better life and death for them.
?!!!!!!
I actually don't get your post at all!!!!
Battery farming is cruel. End of. As I said there are more
Cost effective and HUMANE ways to dispatch a fox
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:57 PM
In fairness my sister was plagued by foxes in her south London house! She couldn't leave her back door open in the summer.Doesn't make fox
hunting okay though.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i think its meant in reference to an animal killing another for enojyment..
yes it was
Page 18 of 27 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »