Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2006, 03:17 PM

6 months old puppy jumping up

can anyone give me any help To stop Meg from Jumping @ people out side, She is Very Good dog But lately she has Taken to Jumping @ People when Of the lead, and She has Gone Deff the last few days when I have Called her Back, She is Coming Up to 6month on the 15th Feb.... I think she just wants to play , But I don,t like to see her Jumping @ people It needs to be Stopped.
I have Tried a Water Spray But she Seems to Like it.
Julie
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
You are going to have to do a lot more on-lead work with her As you know, people do not appreciate dogs running up and jumping on them, and if she should accidentally scratch someone or knock over a child then that could mean trouble.

Keep her on a lead and teach her to focus on you when people are passing. You can use treats or a toy to accomplish this. Have her sit facing you (put a thumb in her collar if necessary to stop her bouncing around). Hold your treat up to your eyes and as soon as she makes eye contact tell her "watch" and reward. Practice this lots indoors and outside so that she will come to understand that watching you is a very rewarding thing to do.

Recall is vitally important and your dog should not be off-lead until her recall is reliable under all sorts of distraction. Here is a Dogweb article which will help you to get a solid recalll every time: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/tra...call_8049.html

Let us know how you get on
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2006, 12:10 PM
What I do if Archie ignores my calls more than 2/3 times is go up to him, put him on lead and keep his lead very short, making him walk to heel for about 5min.

I know it's sort of a punishment but it works very well, he really wants to be offlead and knows that if he ignores me, his freedom will be taken away. I only ever have to do this about twice on a walk and after that he stops ignoring me.

As for the jumping up at people in the park, Archie used to do that do us when he was really excited and we would end up VERY muddy. Just move away quickly when they are about to jump up, they lose their balance and learn not to do it pretty quick. OR when you see your dog about to jump up, tell her SIT and reward her quick - she will elarn that she will be rewarded for sitting and not jumping

Try to set up some situations with other people in the park (people you know)
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
I don,t have a Clue, How But we were in the park Thismorning with LOTS OF people And meg never Jump Once.....Ok so its only the First day But let see if It keeps Working....Thanks again For Advice.
Julie and Trouble LOVING MEG
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2006, 02:28 PM
The only advice I can give is to train your dog with a single word like "down" every time she goes to jump up, I certainly wouldn't make her sit and then give her a treat as I think this can only confuse the dog into thinking it's ok coz they got a treat, be it after the jumping up and then the sitting down! The dog still got a reward for jumping up in the first place! Make sure you use the same command every time she goes to jump up, even if it's a big "no" that should do it Glad to hear she was ok this morning, let's hope she keeps it up, coz there's nothing more annoying than being jumped on by another dog with muddy paws, no matter how small the dog is imo! This is a basic command that has to be taught and learned by your dog, and good luck she seems to be getting the message!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
i said to say "sit" when the dog is ABOUT to jump up, not when it already has.

You reward the sit, not the jumping up, because the dog never jumped up.

Nevermind
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry ooee, I misread it!!!!!!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2006, 04:18 AM
May I just add - you have a very small window of opportunity to reward or to correct a dog for a particular behaviour, 3 seconds maximum, after that you may as well not bother as the dog will not associate the reward/correction with what it has done. So, if the dogs jumps up at someone and you tell it to 'sit' and immediatetly reward compliance you are rewarding the last action that the dog performed, in this case the sit

This is why it is important to have secondary reinforcer (your praise word or a click) which can be used immediately to let the dog know that it has carried out the correct action, as well as the primary reinforcer (food treat) which sometimes may take more than the optimum time to deliver.