Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Bitch fight....what have i done :(

Piglet and sadie have had an enormous fight

The collies were asleep in the kitchen, piglet was asleep on the lounge rug and sadie was sat facing totally away from piglet with her head on my lap. There was no way sadie could see piglet, but piglet could see sadies body...if that makes sense?

Well anyway, seemingly out of nowhere, piglet walks aound the back of sadie growling, sadie lifted her head and that was it, they flew for each other.
Im here on my own, i automatically went for sadie and pulled her off piglet, but pig kept coming back for more and more. She was hanging off sadie and at this point was quite a bit of blood.
So i had to let go of sadie and go for piglet, it took all my strength to hold piglet, it only took one yell at sadie and she stopped her part in the fight, but piglet had a grip on her neck and i had to use her jowls in her mouth and make them bleed before she would let go.

The only damage to piglet is a scrape on her nose and the jowls that i made bleed.
Sadie on the otherhand has 5 puncture wounds and a slight tear on her neck. All superficial, but bled quite a bit.

They currently are seperated, but piglet is growling and running to the door and half attacking the door if i even go towards the kitchen where sadie is.

This isnt looking good is it? Two bitches having a fight and meaning it?

I honestly dont know what to do...feel so bad and guilty for letting this happen.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey hun......don't be upset. It just happens. Jenny and Poppy had an enormous fight the other week and I had to separate them. 5 minutes later they were cuddled up together and have been ok since.
However it wlould be a good idea to separate them when you go out from now on. I just don't want what happened to me with Danny to happen to you.
It may be a good idea to get Piglet checked by a vet in case something is wrong with her. There was nothing wrong with Danny so it may be ok.
Good luck hun and remember.....you can deal with it. We have with Danny and he's quite happy. If you want to PM me please do if I can help. xxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Im so sorry to hear this hun, not a great place to be for you.

Piglet is the one you rescued isn;t she, might be that you will have to not have Sadie near you but to be honest if it carrys on you may have to rethink the structure.

For now you need to keep them apart and obviously clean Sadie with salt water and she may need some AB's if the puntures are deep.

Sorry I can not advise more, but I personally would rethink structure if my bitches fought, as bitches are 'bitches' where/when fighting takes place
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Sorry but I don't think you will sort it---this is a hound who has decided she doesn't like another bitch---it isn't going to stop IMO.

I really think trying to put them together again will be a disaster for both dogs.

By putting the other dog in the kitchen and staying with Piglet you have backed her up.

I hate to say it but I think you probably need to think about the possibility of rehoming the piglet to an only dog family or at least to one with a dog not a bitch.

Good luck.

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Thankyou, they are never left together when im not there anyway.
Piglet was only at the vets a few days ago. She is seeming happier and more confident by the day....just hope that doesnt mean worse to come
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to read about this

Has there been a history of problems at all between the two bitches? I don't know which is which, sorry - is Sadie the gsd and Piglet the bassett?

It doesn't sound good, but if there is some reason (e.g. medical, resource guarding etc) then sometimes the problem can be resolved. However it does sound rather bad, so if you do intend to try to work this out, I'd get a reputable modern behaviourist on board as soon as possible (apbc preferably).

Good luck,

Wys
x
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Oh poor you how horrid for you!
It is totally awefull and chocking when two dogs fight and you struggle to seperate them. Ive been there many times having owned two fighting bitches. You feel sick afterwards dont you!.

No this isnt good, Im afraid You are right.

I have been away for a while and I have no idea of the background of your dogs, if you have posted elsewhere, but that does sound a serious fight!

How old are they and what ages and has this happened before?

For now I would keep them seperate... Talk to someone but make sure they are on recommendation or someone you really feel can help, not just a poster or an add somewhere. Or in my view, not just someone who has letters after their name. That doesn't make them necessarily any better or worse then the next man. You want a personal recommendation.

If you feel I can help then contact me tomorrow. I am quite busy all day, but you should be able to catch me at some point.

Idaally though you need someone good to come and look at your dogs. Where are you....mayne someone can recommend someone...Whatever happens I wish you the very best of courage and luck. D
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I hope you can sort it out hun. I've got really firm with Danny and it's helped a lot. Maybe a behaviourist is the way to go. xx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
How have things been between Sadie and Ripley?

I know you were having a bit of concern over their behaviour together, has this settled now or do they still posture a bit?

It sounds like Piglet is starting to find her feet a bit, maybe feeling more confident, and fitter etc.
I hope can find a solution.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sorry but I don't think you will sort it---this is a hound who has decided she doesn't like another bitch---it isn't going to stop IMO.

I really think trying to put them together again will be a disaster for both dogs.

By putting the other dog in the kitchen and staying with Piglet you have backed her up.

I hate to say it but I think you probably need to think about the possibility of rehoming the piglet to an only dog family or at least to one with a dog not a bitch.

Good luck.

rune
I know that is a huge possibility, thats why i feel so devastated right now.

Piglet is not in the same room as me, she is in a room next to the kitchen.
Sadie is in with the others, its where she wanted to be on her bed.

I wont attempt them in the same room tonight, i will give the tension chance to calm down and see where we are tomorrow.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »