Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 02:41 PM

How to.... get a dog to be examined?

Help!

Max generally doesn't like to be checked over/looked at/gone over by strange people (e.g. anyone not e, of my family & friends)

This has included failing our Silver KC Good Citizen Award as he snapped at the judge and having to be muzzled at the vets .

He is happy to be stroked and petted by the vet (and a judge) but as soon as they start to get "official" he doesn't like it. He doesn't even like being scanned for his microchip (which of course doesn't even need the vet to touch him).

It all stems from the fact that he has managed to injure himself in various ways, and has had a lump removed and now has injured his eye. So every vet visit has necessitated something horrible happening.

We've tried taking him to the vets and nothing horrible happening, which is fine. He is all bouncy when he see the vets and comes for a fuss and cuddles. but as soon as they try something "official" he gets very defensive, snappy, growly etc. We've tried removing me and/or OH from the room, and letting the vet and nurses deal with it; but it's got to the point where we now muzzle him as soon as he has had a fuss from the vet.

It's of more concern to me that he won't let a trainer/judge go over him (even look at a foot). I think he has got into the feeling that if he growls etc, he is left alone. This is generally not the case! For instance, he growled at me this morning when I was struggling with him to put his eye drops in. So I told him to be "Quiet" and "Stay" (whilst I pinned him to the sofa and held his head down with a tea towel whilst my OH put the drops in).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get Max over this? I would be very grateful!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Small stages and good experiences.

I know its probably not that convenient for you, but you could do with popping into your vets on a regular basis - get the vet to give him a quick stroke, maybe give a paw, then a treat and leave. Once he's comfortable with this, more touching by the vet, treat and leave, building up slowely.

I would not expect your vet to charge you a consultation fee for something like this..most should be willing to help out.

Similarly with a trainer - stroke, treat. Paw, treat. Gradually working up so they can touch more of his body. But he needs to be completely relaxed before they try too much - if you don't think he's relaxed, never force it.