View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hooperdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2008, 04:57 PM
keep up the good work you have done great so far. There is a lady down in sommerset called angela stockdale she is a dog trainer and she is fantastic. She has a lot of experience with dogs not liking bull breeds etc. She does classes for anyone and not expensive either. The best part about it is she has training dogs these range from gsd to malumutes and they are fantastic to watch. they basically teach the naughty dogs manners. They done hurt your dog but the dont let your dog get the upperhand either . Basically if you dog gives them a gob full they dominate your dog by rising above them and not letting them move till they carm down and give in, if they do it again they will do the same thing till your dog learns. It has been done for a few of the dogs where I work and they are 98% better with other dogs. its just a suggestion.
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks, I have looked into her and she is a little too far away from me. There are none of her centres nearby either. I have been given the number of a lady who is relatively near here so I may give her a call, depending on our financial situation (these b****y price hikes...).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Do you have anywhere else you can take him to walk? your dog isn't the problem here - the other dogs are! it may be an off lead park but that doesn't mean untrained and rude dogs should bomb up to your dog. Telling another dog to 'get stuffed' doesn't make your dog aggressive - every dog is tolerant, to a point. In the canine world, charging up to another dog face on is a challenge and very confrontational.

The average person has no concept of normal canine communication. To them, any bark, yip or growl emitted from another dog is aggression. If people take offence at your dog telling another dog to back off, I would politely explain to them that if their dog had not ran at your dog in an uncontrolled manner, the whole situation could have been avoided.
Agility-mongrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Blieve me, I do try to explain this! I have a bit of trouble keeping my cool now though as I've heard so many times how my dog should be pts/shot/kicked/muzzled. As our other dog grows up, he is deferring to her more and more and he has not reacted in situations where he previously would have a couple of times. Unfortunately (for these purposes only!) she has been in to be spayed today, so is now "incapable of protecting him" for a short while!
As for walking elsewhere, there are a few places we can go, but Myrtle is so gregarious and lives to play with other dogs that it's not fair on her to always take her where there are no dogs! Also, one side of me feels "why should I stop going to a park where I know so many people just because of some idiots who think that just because their dog is friendly, he/she should be able to approach every dog available?!". I actively call Myrtle back when she goes bombing up to another dog (yes, she does that too!) unless it's one of her friends who knows that she'll shoot right on past them, then do a handbrake turn and approach politely! Most people don't even try to call their dogs back (not that they'd go back to them if they did) they aren't even watching what their dog is doing, just automatically have a go at me!
Sorry, I went off on one there...
Jo
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by hooperdog View Post
There is a lady down in sommerset called angela stockdale she is a dog trainer and she is fantastic.... Basically if you dog gives them a gob full they dominate your dog by rising above them and not letting them move till they carm down and give in, if they do it again they will do the same thing till your dog learns. It has been done for a few of the dogs where I work and they are 98% better with other dogs. its just a suggestion.
Thanks for this post - someone made a comment about this on another thread and you`ve just enlightened me!
Probably not the way you wanted to though! Having heard your description of what she does I wouldn`t let her near my dogs!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2