Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:13 AM

What dog/s do you have and why?

After reading the post about what dog you would have but is not suited to you I wondered why people had chosen the dogs they have.

I have a sibe because I have a lot of time (too much) and she suits my personality. My OH calls her mini me because we both have lots of energy and are always running around the garden, usually I am armed with a water pistol (zuki loves it) and Zuki armed with teeth usually bites me on the backside . We wanted a dog that would get me out of the house and Zuki is great because we go on two walks a day one really long one and one shorter one.

Why do you have your dog/s?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
A Jrt...i was a fair few years younger than i am now..and wanted "my own little dog" as the dogs we had were larger, family pets of whom didnt listen to me in the slightest..Polly was a rescue but i wanted a JRT ideally anyway, for her sheer robust character and pluckyness..they are a superior breed!
Florrie...well didnt set out for a purposley bred first X when looking for a pup at the time..but i wanted a dog (either gundog or terrier) that, along with Poll, i could do some work with. And i saw Florrie..and she was gorgeous with strong working lines to her, yet the even temperament to make a good pet too-so she came home. turns out shes a great pet-useless worker, but ah well
Ralph-wanted a springer for ages, they are everything i love in a dog!! I wanted a springer that i could perhaps get into the ring yet sitll be in the field too..so did some research and found someone who bred field type to show type and produced cracking pups!!
Love most breeds though..but terriers and gundogs IMO, you can't beat um!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Nice idea for a thread!

We have a BC because oH has always had them, from when he was small. We found Mo under a pig on the farm we got him from, he was filthy!

The Biff was from a couple near us who had got a bitch from the RSPCA, the RSPCA said they wouldn't need to go through the homecheck etc as long as they took her to the vet the next day... guess what???? Yip, she was expecting! The Biff was one of the resulting litter, the girl charged us £15 for him as she only wanted to cover her vets fees. We paid out of money my folks had given us as we'd just moved in together!

We have Saturn as we wanted to do something worthwhile when I was off work, so decided to puppy walk, as I'd always wanted to do it.

Three of the best decisions we've ever made, the best of course, being having our son.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Well mine is an Irish (I lived in N. Ireland for the first 18 years of my life) Terrier (bad tempered, aloof and unpredictable, just like me!)

I just love terrier characters, and Irish Terriers are among the most charming. I like their independence and "gameness", they aren't into barking, those wiry coats don't moult excessively, they'll take as much of a hike as you offer them, they're good guards, etc., etc., etc...

And, of course, I can't deny that I think they are great looking dogs!
mummysboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi, I have a lab and a retriever. My hubby and I have always had labs because we like their calm temperament, curteous manner and mainly I think their handsome looking specimens! (I am biased).

We didn't set out to have a retriever, we rescued him at 6 months and he has been such fun. Again excellent temperament and that is a high point when you have children.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:40 AM
We chose a Boxer because we had been around our friends Boxers a lot, and helped them bring up Lottie (Max's mum). We felt we'd had a pretty good look at the breed from being in such close contact with them...

We love their characters and their faces that always look sad and hopeful at the same time

Plus, we wanted a larger dog who would be up for walking/lots of exercise...

Shelley
x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
goodness

well I didnt start out to get a staffie, I never liked them - had the same opinion as many others that they were the scary dogs that ate children etc !!

I was never allowed a dog when I lived at home - although was used to GSD as my granny had them for years and still does. I am allergic to most dogs too - anything with a longer coat basically.

Anyway, cut a long story short, when I met my Oh he had a Rottie - gorgeous girl called tara who was probably the laziest dog I ever met but gorgeous - I really loved rotties from then on, however he kept going on about his cousins staffies that she had had previously. We got a phonecall one day to say she was up from down south visiting and would we like to meet up - we arrived to find this absoulte stunner of a red staffie with her - her latest addition - mental and very staffish but lovely.

A few months after that she asked if we would dogsit - well I was in love before we even got him home - he was mental - jumping around everywhere but loved nothing more than a cuddle on the couch - that was me converted and I didnt want to give him back after 3 days !!!

When i started working from home I made a decision to get a rescue staffie - I asked for a red, good with dogs etc etc and Tracie emailed me a piccy of Bruno and that was it - he was mine and I love him to death !!!

I would never have another breed now - I adore staffies - when he smiles at me with his big staffie grin - thats it !!!!

sorry for the long post !!!

I shold have just said - cos there is nothing better than a staffie smile !!!!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
It's so nice to hear people gushing about their chosen breeds!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

We have a Bichon because my sister used to have a lovely Bichon called Gemma about 20 years ago (think thats when she got her anyway) and then she got another female Bichon called Kim who was Gemmas best friend and they slept together and did everything together - they were fantastic dogs. I had a German Shepherd dog (which is really my favourite breed) and my daughter Laura (Lozzy on here) had been going on for a while about how she would love a little dog of her own to play with and train and take for walks and feed. In the end we decided on a Bichon because they are very placid dogs and are great with small furries.(which we had quite a few of at the time) Well needless to say the walking soon tailed off and its now me that looks after him and does everything for him. He is a brilliant little dog though and is quite clever and obedient.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

i have diesel a staffordshire bull terrier because she was going to be drowned if she didn't get a home the vet didn't think she would live past the end of the day but i am pleased to say she did and although we have a few health problems she is a fantastic dog
i also have delaney a staffordshire bull terrier x he was one from an unwanted litter,i needed a companion for diesel and i wanted to help another unwanted puppy so we found delaney and i was off to wales 20 minutes after seeing his photo again we have a few health problems but he is a real live wire
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »