Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2005, 11:48 PM

over extended leg

Nadi over extended her leg a while ago and i took her to the vets but she keeps limping on it every now and again is this due to her over extending her leg or is it another injury? I forgot to add she has a red area inbetween her toe pads when she's limping.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 06:23 AM
What is "a while ago"?
How did the vet treat her back then?
Did it help then or had it no effect whatsoever?

Did the vet see the red area back then?
Did it get treated?

How have you been handleing since the limp started?
How old is the dog?
What are you routines?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2005, 07:36 AM
my dads dog did this ages ago and she still limps sometimes....I think these things unless totally rested can take ages to heal
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2005, 01:22 AM
heres the answers to your Q's amts
Nadi was about 13 months old when it happened so it was 6 months ago as she is now 19 months old, the vet gave her this syrup and told us to give it to her twice a day for as long as she had the limp, yes the medicine did help, No the vet didnt see the red area between her toes as she didnt have it then.

I have been treating Nadi for an over extended leg hot compress and every time she gets it she gets two weeks rest and a gentle walk to see how she goes and then slowly build it up again to her normal walk.

Normal routine is
first thing in the morning feed and water wait 1/2 hr and walk for 3/4 hr with the pup (Simba) making sure they have plenty to drink on our return.
during the day loads of fuss and attention
Noon Feed Simba
5 O'clock last feed for Nadi
9ish take for an hour long walk and throw tennis ball around the field, check their paws for thing such as grass seeds and lock them in their pens making loads of fuss of them Fill up Simbas food bowl and say goodnight

Thanx Inca
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:33 PM
As i read it (and correct me if I´m wrong), 6 months ago your dog started limping? You took it to the vet who gave it painkilers and told you to keep it calm.
It helped but now the limping has started again?
She has now also gotten a red area that your vet hasnt seen?

If it was my dog, I would go back to my vet, explain the situation and ask for x-rays. Could be growth, could be damage from back then that wont heel up and could be tons of other things..
The red area doenst have to be anything and it could be everything.
Have your dog been in water? lakes, whatever?
Do you ever walk it areas like woods?

The chasing for tennis balls is a loved game by many dogs and will tired them fysically. But it is also hard on their legs and not adviced to overdo, and certainly not while growing.
Mentally challeging games will make your dog even more tired and wont hurt it in any way

But as I said, I would ask for x-rays at my vet to make sure it isnt just growth.