View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Here is a very informative article on unilteral hip dysplasia: http://www.showdogsupersite.com/hips.html

Environment, as well as genetics, plays an important role.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Interesting article S/B

I used to have an article about VitC & h/d called The error of the Millenium, I only kept the link, now it doesn`t work & looked everywhere for it on the net but seems to have disappeared
Do have one about if from W. Oldfield tho

http://www.filadog.com/html%20docs/Y...itamin%20C.htm
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 07:43 AM
im so sory to hear that .. ask her to talk to the breeder about it glucosamine is supposed to help ( i take this for my own arthritis) . if it were me though id see another vet for a second opinion it does seem early to diagnose hip dysplacia
ther breeder may well offer help its always worth talking to them . sorry i cannot be of any further help ..
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 10:55 AM
hi

not sure about how early etc to diagnose - however my staffie Bruno has hip dysplacia and he does hydrotherapy to try and slow down the athritis problems he will inevitable face - It might be worth looking into for Simba as its a kind way to exercise the joints and newfie's do LOVE to swim after all.....

dani
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 10:57 AM
My girl has hip displaysia, and although she can't do as much as she used to, with supplements, she is leading a normal active life...
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2005, 11:40 AM
It does seem abit too early to determine if the dog has Dysplaysia, I would definitly contact the breeder once you know for sure. It is known that parents with good hips can still chuck out a Dysplastic pup.

If the dog is ok, once checked get some Glucosamine tablets (1 tab a day) it says it helps maintain connective tissues within the joints. You can get it from Holland & Barrett.

Keep us updated
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by otis
Well Simba has still been limping so they took him back to the vet and they did an xray on him. The vet said that one hip was very bad, completely out of its socket and the other was bad, but not as bad. He said Simba would need an operation and he could have it done now at 7 months at Cambridge or wait until he is 10 months and have it done at the local vets.

She is very upset.
If the hip has been x rayed and the hips are fitting as badly as you suggest then it obviously is HD. Although it is a young age to have HD diagnosed the fact is he was xrayed to diagnose the cause of a limp and the joints are poorly formed.
The good thing is that having been diagnosed you can deal with the problem and make his life as comfortable as possible.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2