View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Benji doesn't seem to be scratching as much.

Well its day 13 of the Atopica tablets today and I must say that Benji doesn't seem to be scratching half as much as he did so I am praying that this treatment will work and his scratching days will soon be at an end We got 10 more tablets last week and next week the vet will prescribe 10 more without seeing him and then we have to take him back when those are finished to let the vet check how he is doing.

I saw something on the internet yesterday though that suggested thats his puppy vaccinations could be to blame for all this trouble that he is going through now I have often wondered whether this was the case because he started the scratching just two weeks after his last injection.
It says that two scientists in 1983 discovered that inhalant allergies (such as atopic dermatitus) have developed in dogs when injected with the distemper, hepatitis and leptospirosis vaccines just prior to, but not after expose to pollens. Well Benji didn't go out except in the back garden prior to his injections so I am wondering whether his vaccinations are the cause after all

The website was quite interesting and was called http://www.kavishi.freeserve.co.uk/s...ccinations.htm - it was while I was looking for something for Saz about steroids that I came across it.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2005, 10:14 AM
So pleased that the itching is easing up a bit. I feel so sorry for them when they are scratching. It must be such a misery.

Who knows what side effects vaccs have. Seems to me that with vaccinations you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I shall have a look at the link as it sounds interesting. I wonder if there is any more up-to-date research available?
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 10:53 AM
aww hope benji feels better soon
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Aww I'm so glad they seem to be working for Benji, so you may have found the answer at last Foxy. Now, you saying about the jabs, I am in a dilema myself at the moment with them as Cassie is due next week and she's 9 now, and I don't normally have them boosted after 10 yrs. old but after all I'm been reading up on here and other boards I am dubious about having her done any more. Does Benji still have his annual boosters, or are you now thinking the same after reading that thread? Anyway, let's hope these tablets work for him as you've certainly done everything else possible for his scratching! I am going to ask my vet about the tabs next time I see him for Georgie and ask if they are the same ones he was on last summer for 3 months (£10 per day!!) but unfortunately they didn't work for him. All the best with it, as this is the worst time of year for all this scratching isn't it! Me too!!!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Aww I'm so glad they seem to be working for Benji, so you may have found the answer at last Foxy. Now, you saying about the jabs, I am in a dilema myself at the moment with them as Cassie is due next week and she's 9 now, and I don't normally have them boosted after 10 yrs. old but after all I'm been reading up on here and other boards I am dubious about having her done any more. Does Benji still have his annual boosters, or are you now thinking the same after reading that thread? Anyway, let's hope these tablets work for him as you've certainly done everything else possible for his scratching! I am going to ask my vet about the tabs next time I see him for Georgie and ask if they are the same ones he was on last summer for 3 months (£10 per day!!) but unfortunately they didn't work for him. All the best with it, as this is the worst time of year for all this scratching isn't it! Me too!!!
Hi Helen,

I have only just seen this and have answered your other thread about vaccinations Yes Benji is still scratching but doesn't seem to be doing it quite as frequently as he was but its early days yet, the tablets can take 4 weeks to work so I suppose that I shouldn't be expecting miracles by now Just ask your vet if it was Atopica that he was on last time but I doubt it would be if they were £10 a day. These work out at £2.80 a tablet and they are even cheaper on the net (£13.81) but you need a prescription from the vet first though unfortunately

As for vaccinating, then we won't be boostering Benji at all. We always give our dogs puppy vaccinations only and so far this has worked for us and we have always had healthy dogs which have required very little vet attention. We have never kennelled any of our dogs because I know they need vaccinations to be kennelled.