Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:51 AM

How your dog tried to take over

This question has been raised a couple of times but I didnt want it to get missed in other threads

I dont mean this as an argument
As most of you know my dream is to be a dog behaviourist so I am interested in peoples thoughts on this matter.

I am interested to see the difference people see between a dog with a training issue and a dog really trying to take over. I may or may not agree with your views - thats life - but I respect and am really intereseted in what you think.

If possible could you answer

1. How do you believe you were not showing your dog his position in your household to lead him to thinking he could take over

2. What did he do to show you he was trying to take over from you?

3. What did you do to address the problem and was it sucessful?

4. What age was the dog?

5. What breed was the dog?

Thankyou in advance - like I say, I am not trying to ridicule anyones methods, I would just like to undertand what people mean when they say something.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I might have my dim head on but I`m not sure what you mean by `trying to take over`. Could you explain or give an example please?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I came downstairs to this one morning:

...and just knew that my dog was plotting to take over.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
This question has been raised a couple of times but I didnt want it to get missed in other threads

As most of you know my dream is to be a dog behaviourist so I am interested in peoples thoughts on this matter.
I am interested to see the difference people see between a dog with a training issue and a dog really trying to take over. I may or may not agree with your views - thats life - but I respect and am really intereseted in what you think.

1. How do you believe you were not showing your dog his position in your household to lead him to thinking he could take over
I don't believe any dog is capable of thinking it can take over.

In order to 'try to take over' it would be necessary for a dog to be self aware and to have the ability to reason, I don't believe dogs posses either of these things.

3. What did you do to address the problem and was it sucessful? N/A

4. What age was the dog? N/A

5. What breed was the dog? N/A
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

I don't believe there have been any attempts to 'take over' by my dog. I don't personally believe that dogs try to take over. I do think they are opportunists and will happily lounge on the sofa/bed if you give in to their pleading eyes .

4. What age was the dog?

Thankyou in advance - like I say, I am not trying to ridicule anyones methods, I would just like to undertand what people mean when they say something.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I came downstairs to this one morning:

...and just knew that my dog was plotting to take over.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
OK - I think I see.

When I got Daisy she tried to control the space around her by aggression. I suppose this could possibly be seen as `my job`. Therefore, yes, she was doing what I should be doing.

It wasn`t a take-over, it was a learned response due to poor handling previously. (see above)
Attack people who came too close. In this she was controlling who could approach (people she knew) and who could not.

Basic training to begin with, then gradually gaining control and building trust by using heelwork and `watch me` around people so she began to look to me for cues. Then using her training by asking her to Sit while people walked past (assisted by an excellent trainer). She was rewarded when calm, ignored when not. yes it was successful, but it has taken 2 years. I can now take her un-muzzled on trains!
4. What age was the dog?
GSD
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 04:31 PM
None of the five dogs I've had in my house over the past couple of years have tried to take over anything.

I've had dogs that have been a bit bad mannered (i.e. hadn't been taught to take toys gently or wait for things) and dogs who have been a bit dog aggressive.

But I haven't yet met a dog who tried to be the boss of me.

The times I have seen dogs that were the 'boss' is when the owners have allowed it. For example, our elderly neighbour (when she was alive) let her dog rule her life: if she was visiting with us and the dog wanted to go home, she would just go. I don't see that as the dog 'taking over'. He was just getting his own way.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Never met a dog that was planning to take over in anyway shape or form & none of mine has ever planned to take over in 51 years of owning dogs.

None of my dogs & I've never met anyone's else's dogs that have planned to take over the human role of provider/trainer.

N/A

4. What age was the dog?
N/A

N/A

Sorry I have never a met a dog that has plans for home, owner or world domination.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry I have never a met a dog that has plans for home, owner or world domination.
You clearly haven't met mine yet.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You clearly haven't met mine yet.

You haven't met Wukee, but he's only planning to take over the car to visit his many friends !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >