Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Some cockers have a hard time ajusting to their new home and have fiesty natures they can be a bit much to handle so beware of this if your thinking of getting a pup of any sort and you have kids cockers at three months can deliver a very nasty bite!!

Im currently going through agression hell with my pup its the equivelent of a temper tantrum from a terrible 2 but im dealing with it the sooner I can find some puppy classes to go to the better. Some dogs can get choice hearing this can make them very difficult to train (mine has this)) Cockers are also complete nutters some more then others and their nature can be difficult to deal with if this is the case.

its more to do with the individual rather then breeding or handling you get the odd maverick.
This is an interesting observation

Cockers are very intelligent little dogs and therefore need owners who are going to help them in this way. I have found working cockers quite different to show line. (Working being MUCH higher energy)

I agree the sooner you find classes the better. With a Pup as young as yours I would be concerned about seeing truly aggressive behaviour and be trying to route out why it was happening.

You are right...get to a puppy class Quick! - or better get a 1-2-1 with a decent trainer and find out how to help you pup!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Any true aggression or fear, will need a 1-2-1 assessment, please do not take your aggressive pup to classes without first explaining the situation to the trainer, any decent trainer will come out and asses your pup first, to make sure the class environment will help rather than hinder your pups progress.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Its such a shame as she is lovely pup but her agression is such a nightmare i will contact some 1 21 trainers who deal with puppy agression as its starting to get to a point were enough is enough.

It doesnt help that she has mind of her own is very smart, chooses not to listen and knows places she can were she CAN bite me should pick her up from that area I have found other ways to get her off but she is smart and soon gets wind of what im up to -.-

she is bright, high spirrited, stubborn, free willed, incredibly high amount of energy!!

Even though she is KC show line it happens sometimes you can get show pups with equal energy as a working and millie has enough for 2 o.0 its all in the background but from what I can tell none of her lines are working.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Just for interest how many of each type have you known and worked with?

And if you are picking her up - I have no doubt she is biting you
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:26 PM
If you have a pup that is showing aggression it is not the fault of the pup---it is the way she is being treated.

Hope for her sake you get someone out soon who can help you understand more about dogs and her in particular.

rune
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Ive only owned the one she is my first dog maybe not such a great choice but mum had a cocker who was mad but was well natured and grandpa had one who was old and loved people but you don't really get to know other peoples dog as they act very differently at home I guess when your not their.

Im not sure really I just guess you can get the odd maverick but Millie is definately show with show background she just seems to have an incredible amount of energy and this is partly to blame for agessiveness.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Ive only owned the one she is my first dog maybe not such a great choice but mum had a cocker who was mad but was well natured and grandpa had one who was old and loved people but you don't really get to know other peoples dog as they act very differently at home I guess when your not their.

Im not sure really I just guess you can get the odd maverick but Millie is definately show with show background she just seems to have an incredible amount of energy and this is partly to blame for agessiveness.
One of the quickest ways to tire a puppy is to exercise their brain, start teaching sits, lays, walking to heel, just a few minutes a few times a day will help to tire them out.

Give them things that are acceptable to do with their teeth, ours loved to rip up a cardboard box and would be worn out trying to find the odd treat which we sometimes put in them.

Also teach them to chill on their own sometimes, so they get used to you being around but not always involved.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If you have a pup that is showing aggression it is not the fault of the pup---it is the way she is being treated.

Hope for her sake you get someone out soon who can help you understand more about dogs and her in particular.

rune
Thats an urban myth and easy conclussion to make from an experienced dog owner to one who isnt its not nice to make judgement like that.

we never did anything to encourage her bitting she just found she could get her way through bitting plus she is bright and has choice hearing making her almost impossible to correct.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:34 PM

You need help with this Pup - Now, yesterday!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Thats an urban myth and easy conclussion to make from an experienced dog owner to one who isnt its not nice to make judgement like that.

we never did anything to encourage her bitting she just found she could get her way through bitting plus she is bright and has choice hearing making her almost impossible to correct.
But this is where training and consistency come in, they need to learn that through biting they can not get their own way, you can ignore them, and if it helps put something in their mouth to fill it everytime they are looking like it might happen, she is so young that puppy nipping is just what most dogs will do, and will grow out of it with the right handling. If it isnt handled right now it will get harder and more determined because they will learn they can get away with it.

It is probably not that she doesnt hear you, they genuinely do not understand what is required of them, she will need to be shown what is acceptable and how she should behave, get some treats, get her sitting if she looks like she is going a bit fizzy and reward the sit, lure it with food if you have to. It will soon focus her mind if she knows that a treat might be coming and we used this often if our pup was having a mad moment, gave him a couple of minutes to charge about then reined him back with a short burst of training to tire his brain.

Good luck, i am sure with training all will be well, but spaniels whether working or show are just like most dogs, they need to be taught and worked with in a way they understand and is consistent, and i would strongly suggest that you do this with the support of a trainer, because they will teach you to teach the dog.

You will in all likelihood then find that the 'aggession' is just puppy exuberance and when channelled and given time to be a puppy who grows up trained will be adorable.

We also found our dog to be a little hyper after a walk, quite the opposite of what you would expect, but dont let this fool you into walking them longer, because it isnt likely to change and you will then get them over tired and naughty just like a small child.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >