View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys - have ordered the ones off ebay. Cheers. 24 should last the little beggars a while
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks H - I will have a look at the P@H website. I don't like the small rubber balls, in case they get stuck in the throat and choke the dog

I have used tennis balls with Yogi and he is fine with them, they do get chewed up (by all four dogs) eventually, but they all retrieve to hand, so not so bad.

What happened on the beach???? I must have missed that thread!
No, these are the same size as the tennis balls, I would never use anything smaller! P@H do them, they're £2.50 each and come in all sorts of colours, but they're not as big and heavy as the large ones on the rope, coz Zena's gob isn't quite that big yet!

Well, the tennis ball got wet in the sea (obviously) and she was so excited about being down there for the very first time and she wouldn't give me that blooming ball back, and as I tried to get it off her, she clamped even tighter causing the ball to squash and I began to worry about her choking on it coz there was no way she was giving it up, but luckily I managed to get her to "swap" it for my usual medium sized hard rubber ones, thank goodness! If ever she picks one up when playing with another dog who has one, I always make her drop it immediately and get her own hard rubber one coz I'd hate to go through that again!

Those orange ones with black lines on, the squishy rubber ones, are again the exact same size as those tennis balls and that's why some of the chuckits are sold with them already in there!

All my other dogs have been fine with tennis balls, they sometimes eat the outside, but have never squashed them like Zena did and still would!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I've given up on tennis balls. They don't seem to last. Now I'm using spongy rubber balls from Pets at Home.
They come in packs of three, bright colours so easy to find and they fit the chuck it. Last much longer. On offer just now at £2 a pack but usually about £2.50
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I found the ones from pound shop or the ones that come with a ball launcher are rubbish. Tilly just tears them open in minutes.
if you have a sport & soccer or sportsworld (not sure what it's called but it's the big shop that does all the cheap Lonsdale stuff etc... )they have good quality 4 Dunlop or Slazenger balls in a tube for £3.99 and Tilly doesn't chew them to pieces. We've had our tube for ages and only on the 2nd one (coz I threw one in a tree with my girl throwing action!)
This is soo true. We've bought the cheaper type tennis ball before (got a tub of them in Somerfield). Unfortunatley they're the ones with a seam around two halves + the covering is fluffier/looser.
So, even with mine who don't have particularly powerful jaws, these last only one walk each....Hoki is always chomping on her as she runs around so hers end up as two halves only held together by the outer yellow fluff stuff and Stumpy runs off into the bushes with hers and pulls all the fluff off

But the proper tennis balls last them ages - Hoki can chew to her heart's content and they aren't fluffy enough for Stumpy to want to rip them apart.

If you buy them out of season they are usually on offer.

PS pmsl at the girly throwing action and the tree - that happens to me quite often too.

Thanks Tillymint. There is a sports shop in the nearest town (about 25 miles away) but I was hoping to buy some online and get them delivered - as I hate going into town
I see you've just ordered some on line now. If they don't prove to be much good and you want some from sports soccer etc, just give me a shout - I'll get them (or ask OH to) and we can arrange a walk for me to hand them over
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I see you've just ordered some on line now. If they don't prove to be much good and you want some from sports soccer etc, just give me a shout - I'll get them (or ask OH to) and we can arrange a walk for me to hand them over
Yep, ordered now. I will see what they are like and how long they last! I will give you a shout if they are rubbish
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Haven't used a ball as small as a tennis ball with any of mine since a dog in the park where I sometimes take mine jumped to catch a tennis ball & choked to death before we could get it out of her throat. It really frightened me. I always worry if my Hannah tries to steal another dogs ball.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 02:58 PM
We normally order them in bulk off ebay and they last pretty well unless the dratted spaniel looses them!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I used to buy those cheapo tennis balls with the paw prints on, but to be honest they were a waste of money.. I go to sports shops and look for the bargains, I got 12 slazenger tennis balls for a fiver and they have lasted and lasted...so far
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Haven't used a ball as small as a tennis ball with any of mine since a dog in the park where I sometimes take mine jumped to catch a tennis ball & choked to death before we could get it out of her throat. It really frightened me. I always worry if my Hannah tries to steal another dogs ball.
What type of dog was that then Sue?? It still worries me with one this size, I can't wait to go up a size to those massive big hard rubber ones on ropes! Zena managed to get TWO of the medium sized ones in her mouth once and it scared the pants off me, coz I could only see one!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Tillymint. There is a sports shop in the nearest town (about 25 miles away) but I was hoping to buy some online and get them delivered - as I hate going into town
25 miles away!!!!!!!! There IS a downside afterall then Kirsty!!!!!! Sorry, had to get that one in there
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >