View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-03-2007, 08:51 PM

Bitch Pup with Dogs - When should I get her spayed ?

As some of you know, we get the new pup on Saturday.

'She' will be 12 weeks old when we get her.

I know there are differing opinions on when best to spay (and why that is) but I obviously need to consider the fact that we've already got two adult 'entire' male dogs.

I think it's been touched on in previous threads about our new arrival but I've never asked specifically about when best to spay.

Suggestions welcome !

Thanks

Phil
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 08:57 PM
For me I would ask your vets opinion. When the final injection they can book you in for the operation. I would say usually about 6 months old. My bitch came into her first season just 8 months old.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Our vets usually say at least 6 months old, also they like the bitch to have her first season then spay her 3 months after.

Congratulations on your new addition!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter View Post
Our vets usually say at least 6 months old, also they like the bitch to have her first season then spay her 3 months after.

Congratulations on your new addition!
Letting her have her first season is what I was leaning toward but it's the risk of the boys being boys !

Is the benefit worth the risk ?
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Letting her have her first season is what I was leaning toward but it's the risk of the boys being boys !

Is the benefit worth the risk ?
I am afraid I dont know the reason why! I will ask at the vets tomorrow. I am sure someone else will know the reason before then and tell you!

PS It will be tough with 2 entire boys though. I do not envy you! They get in a real state whining and not eating etc!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Our vet recommends spaying before the first season and after 5 months of age depending on breed.But I should go for after first season and then we might get little Skye crosses!!! only joking folks before you all jump in. LOL
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Our vet recommends spaying before the first season and after 5 months of age depending on breed.But I should go for after first season and then we might get little Skye crosses!!! only joking folks before you all jump in. LOL
I could hear the tapping of keys all over then I am in a different postion as both the boys have been done, However our vet suggests spaying 3months after the 1st season.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Dunno what would scare me the most - Skye or Fingal doing the daddy ! LOL
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 09:45 PM
You could get a mixed litter!!!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 10:32 PM
as your very aware,everybody,vets included will have there own opion on this subject, therefore because you asked hers mine i would say at between 5-6mths old,esp with the boys,not worth risking a litter for,and all the heartbreak of trying to keep the boys from doing what comes natural,lol
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >