bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 06:04 PM

Bad breath - not from teeth

Hey guys

Well Luna's tummy is back to what it was oh so many months ago

We are now on a food from the vet.

Since last october Luna's had a bad breath.. Back then she was fed a food based on salmon.. She was reeking of rotten fish out of her mouth. I took her to the vet, to have the teeth checked.. I had checked them myself, but couldnt find anything, so thought I wanted the vet to check - just incase

Well there was nothing to be seen.... And the vet believed it was the food not being properly absorbed in Luna's system. THIS is when our food rollercoaster started...

Now Luna's breath has been bad ever since, not rotten fish, but rotten-ish and bad

I was wondering, if now that her tummy is getting back to order (so to speak), if the breath will return to "normal"?

Its really weird with that food... Bella, Kamille's gsd, and Luna were fed it back then (Bella still gets it) and Bella doesnt have bad breath at all....

And another thing... As I still dont dare to give Luna chews, bones or kongs, we have bought doggie toothpaste and yesterday I brushed her teeth for the first time... He he, she's a silly git

And then I will end up saying a little
yay for Luna and her tummy

Thank you all for your help, support and concern

J and a sleepy Luna (this can NOT be comfy ):

Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Jeanette, I have a lady friend who can tell if her children have an upset tum by their breath, so it might be that's the case for Luna and if so I would think that once her tummy is back to normal fully, her breath would reflect this . I'm sure that someone who knows what they're on about will have a better reply
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Hi Jeanette, I have a lady friend who can tell if her children have an upset tum by their breath, so it might be that's the case for Luna and if so I would think that once her tummy is back to normal fully, her breath would reflect this . I'm sure that someone who knows what they're on about will have a better reply
Aaawwww A/L you know stuff and thank you

This does make sense doesnt it???
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Aaawwww A/L you know stuff and thank you

This does make sense doesnt it???
I wish I did Jeanette
PS Have you seen Pippins pledge of undying love for Luna??
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
I wish I did Jeanette
PS Have you seen Pippins pledge of undying love for Luna??
Nooo I havent.. Where????

Awww he's such a cutie

J
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-08-2005, 09:24 PM
J Luna is looking well after all that , glad you have found a food that suites her at last You may find her breath changes for the better too....food certainly affects the breath, Amy has had very sweet breath since being fed on Burns . If Luna is not having other things to chew don't forget whole carrots to help her teeth and breath
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
J Luna is looking well after all that , glad you have found a food that suites her at last You may find her breath changes for the better too....food certainly affects the breath, Amy has had very sweet breath since being fed on Burns . If Luna is not having other things to chew don't forget whole carrots to help her teeth and breath
Thank you Mini

Well I think I have. Its very expenssive though... 7 kg costs £33

I give her carrots, but she wont eat them, just tear them apart, and then I can go and clean up after her afterwards

I do hope her breath gets better, cos right now, its not nice having kisses from her

J
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Bad breath due to diet may be resolved by giving activated charcoal - if she has soft food get some granules and mix it in, otherwise try some charcoal biscuits.

However, if she is on oral medication, avoid giving the activated charcoal at the same time as the medication as it will absorb some of it and reduce it's activity.

Activated charcoal is useful to have around - especially when they eat something they shouldn't, as it's v.good at absorbing toxins.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi

Thank you very much.

I will see if I can get these biscuits in Denmark
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Glad to hear Luna's tummy is finally sorted J! I'm not sure about the breath problem-will she eat garlic?....Only say this 'cos it's a good antibacterial sort of thingy and Murph just has garlic breath now instead of doggy breath! .....not sure which I prefer!
Seriously though, garlic is a good general all round sort of thing that may help Luna to fight of some little bugs in her tummy. I know she doesn't cope with yoghurt very well so won't suggest that one! I hope you get it sorted though.

p.s. The weekend sounded great!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >