Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 08:34 AM

My house is not a toilet!!!!!!!!!

Hi all

Diesel is now 9 months old and toilet training was a breeze......until now, he has started pooing in the house, he sleeps in the kitchen and lately I find he has at least wee'd in there if not pooed as well, all doors to other rooms have to be kept closed or he will poo in them.

My daughter got up last night, sneaked into bed with me, left her door open and yep you guessed it, wee and poo this morning.

Any idea's why he might suddenley be doing this and any idea's on how to stop it??

HELP!!!!!
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 08:59 AM
He generally could be scent marking. He is at an age he is maturing.

I would start by going back to basics, when he wakes up and after meals, let him out and wait until he has been to the toilet befor letting him in.

Taking him for regular walks might help, as he can scent mark outside and not your house.

Its very hard to let them know its wrong, if not caught in the act.

D xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi VV has there been any change to Diesels routine/feeding/someone away. If not and he is well in every other way the behaviour could be connected to the hormone surge puppies get around this time.

I agree with Petstalk, go back to taking Diesel out regularly then staying with him, telling him to 'be clean' (or whatever word you used before) and say it when he is in the middle of relieving himself so he associates the word with the action, then praise/give the occasional treat so that going outside is rewarding for Diesel.

Once a puppy is houstrained people often forget to continue praising a dog for relieving itself outside, it is a good idea to reinforce any good behaviour with praise so the puppy is aware that a particular behaviour is correct.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I've trained my girl - now 10 months old - to either "wee" toilet or "poo" toilet, by taking her out every time I thought/saw she might need to go.

They really do give unmistakable signs - you just have to be there to see them.

Now, she will wake me during the night, if she really wants to "go".

It is a pain in the rear end, if you are asleep, but you do have to make the effort.

They're just like kids - they give the signal at the last possible minute - you have to be ready to "move"!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, he is fine during the day and yes he will let me know if he needs to go out, but this tends to happen overnight, not sure if he tries to wake me, if he does he is yet to suceed. His routine hasnt changed at all.

I found 3 lots of poo this morning in the kitchen, but this time it was very loose, cow pat like, kinda looked like he couldnt hold it even if he wanted to. Will keep an eye on him and maybe a trip to the vet is in need
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2007, 09:05 AM
A visit to the vet sounds like a good idea.
Nudge is 36 weeks now and like ozmutt's dog she wakes me at night. Sometimes it is just cos she is nosey and wants to know what the weather is doing!!!
Let us know how you get on at the vet.