Our sister sites
honey123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Dog Whines When left outside?

Hi all,

need some help again

I am crate training my dog Honey. I have started to let he out first thing in the morning to toilet.

Honey hates going outside on her own (don't blame her) so she whines and barks to get back in!

This morning I let her out to toilet and after 10 minutes let her in and she peed and pooed in my kitchen.

My hubby said 'you didn't leave her out long enough'.... okay maybe not, but unfortunatley I don't have the time to stand out with her as I need to get the kids ready for school.

During the day (because Im in the house) I go out and stand with her and when she goes I reward with treats, but if I go back into the house she will try to get back in with me and just barks and whines if on her own!!!

How do I stop her from barking and whining when outside?!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sophia
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
hi
whilst toilet training it is no good just to 'put them outside' so regarding toilet training that has kinda answered that one.
re whining when apart from you in general.... all dogs have to learn to be on their own,some are better than others.i find a baby gate is a good way to 'break it to them gently' as they can still see you and not get to you,when thay are happy with this then you can progress onto a shut door(only for a few sec)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Row I explained about going out with your puppy in your previous thread . Going out with her means just that , going out with her and staying with her until she is house trained. .

Hi Sophia I never use paper to house train a puppy. The object of the exercise is to teach a puppy to relieve itself outside so to me using newspaper is teaching a puppy the opposite of what I want to achieve.

First I would get rid of the newspaper then throughly clean any previously soiled areas with a none ammonia based cleaner or the scent of previous accidents will prompt your puppy to soil again in the same place (biological washing powder or special stain devil is good for this) . I would not acknowledge when your puppy has an accident, no word no eye contact or it may become afraid to relieve itself in your presence and you don't want to reward the unwanted behaviour with your attention.

Until your puppy is house trained I would keep her in the kitchen and only allow her in other rooms when she has been out and you know she is 'empty'.

To house train your puppy take it out at times when when it is most likely to want to relieve itself that is first thing in the morning/last thing at night/ straight after food / after play/excitement/when the puppy sniffs the ground and circles/about an hour after the puppy last went out.

I would take her out for a short walk (not for long exercise after food) at the times listed above preferably to a place where other dogs have been , their scent will help to prompt her to eliminate. When she does go give a reward (something tasty) and lots of praise .

It is a good idea to teach your puppy to eliminate on command too so that it learns to 'go' when requested and that doing so outside in your presence is rewarding (going inside brings no reward).
First the puppy needs to learn a 'prompt' word and what a word means, (I say 'beclean' ) .
To teach the puppy the meaning of the word it is important to say the word when the puppy is in the middle of relieving itself so that it associates the word with the action, then the moment it finishes going treat/praise. Timing is very important here, get it wrong and the puppy will be receiving praise for the wrong thing .

Once the puppy has learnt to associate the word with the action you can then use the word to prompt your puppy to eliminate . I use high value treats like chicken pieces to train this , after a while the treats should be given randomly then not at all but always give praise.

As your puppy is already 4 months old if you are patient and consistent she should learn to become clean quite quickly
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Go out with her - sorry. It`s the only way I know. The dog doesn`t `know` that she`s being put outside to toilet. All she knows is that she is shut out.
As soon as she understands, she`ll develop a little routine (dogs tend to go in the same place) and it`ll become a habit.
honey123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I know Go out with her - the theory makes sense and I know I need to get up half an hour earlier to stay outside until she goes in the freezing cold and reward her accordingly!

Will watching her 'go' out of the kitchen window and throwing the treat out of the window to her have the same effect!

Throw me a frecking bone here, I'm wanting to enjoy my coffee from the warmth of my country kitchen here in sunny Belfast!!!!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh the joys of puppy training. I don't know of any other way to toilet train a dog other than to go outside with them and heap the praise on when they "go". The more consistent you are accompanying her outside the faster she'll learn and you'll feel so proud of her and yourself when she does "get it".

ETA: I think getting her used to being on her own for short bursts should be a separate exercise and nothing to do with her time outside for now.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes, you need to go out with the puppy. Otherwise, how do you reward it for going?

But it may not be enough. Activity stimulates elimination. Take it out on leash. Walk around. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by honey123 View Post
I know Go out with her - the theory makes sense and I know I need to get up half an hour earlier to stay outside until she goes in the freezing cold and reward her accordingly!

Will watching her 'go' out of the kitchen window and throwing the treat out of the window to her have the same effect!
Throw me a frecking bone here, I'm wanting to enjoy my coffee from the warmth of my country kitchen here in sunny Belfast!!!!
you being serious???

maybe you should of got a cat
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi all,

need some help again

I am crate training my dog Honey. I have started to let he out first thing in the morning to toilet.

Honey hates going outside on her own (don't blame her) so she whines and barks to get back in!

This morning I let her out to toilet and after 10 minutes let her in and she peed and pooed in my kitchen.

My hubby said 'you didn't leave her out long enough'.... okay maybe not, but unfortunatley I don't have the time to stand out with her as I need to get the kids ready for school.

During the day (because Im in the house) I go out and stand with her and when she goes I reward with treats, but if I go back into the house she will try to get back in with me and just barks and whines if on her own!!!

How do I stop her from barking and whining when outside?!!!

Thanks in advance!

Sophia
Get up a bit earlier so you can spend more time with her otherwise you will have a bigger problem as she gets older. Even if it is just a 10 min walk around the block.

Suki is 4 this year and hate being outside as soon as she has done her business she barks to come in.
ATD x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Im sorry this has got to be a wind up why did you get a dog? you clearly cant be bothered with it and dont have the time!! if you want the dog to stop crying outside dont be so bloody lazy, get up ten mins before normal, try taking the dog a short walk, you may find the stimulation of walking will help with the dog going to the loo.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >