View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
...and the Bulldog ? ..that was health checked at Buba in December and given a clean bill of health by the vet ...a copy of the Clumbers new vet check is now on the net for all to see an it clearly states that it has no eye problems - if the Bassett for example is passed at Birmingham in a few months time will this negate the Crufts vet check ?....
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
...and the Bulldog ? ..that was health checked at Buba in December and given a clean bill of health by the vet ...a copy of the Clumbers new vet check is now on the net for all to see an it clearly states that it has no eye problems - if the Bassett for example is passed at Birmingham in a few months time will this negate the Crufts vet check ?....
The clumbers certificate only reports the condition of the eye itself and makes no mention of the eye lids
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh please-----the Kerry Blues and the Irish Terriers would be a good start!

rune
Hey watch it! Whilst my Kerry Blue terrier will never reach the heady heights of Crufts he has 5 best-in-show awards and 2 reserve BIS and an obedience trophy and can do off-lead heelwork (although he walks a bit wide). He has a smashing temperament with other dogs too. And Annie Clayton liked him at HTM!

I think I have to agree with you that he is probably not the rule but the exception though!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I bet Jemmima Harrison is typing up her "I told you so" article for "Dogs Today" as we speak.......
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
here's the Clumber's new vet report - it says " no sign of inflammation or discomfort'

[social network link removed]
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks---it won't do it for me , refuses to connect.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
The link isn't working for me. Maybe my computer?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
here's the Clumber's new vet report - it says " no sign of inflammation or discomfort'
That isn't what the dog was disqualified for though---is it.

rune
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
statement from the Bulldog Breed Council on the disqualified Bulldog

The Bulldog Breed Council wishes to support the winning Exhibitor and the very experienced and respected Judge at Cruft’s 2012 .

We wish to clarify the events of the past weekend at Cruft’s and put an end to speculation.

We have worked with the Kennel Club over the last 8 years in a concentrated effort to focus on the points that needed urgent attention to improve the health of the Bulldog.

Long before any media attention and publicity we have had a health committee and a strategy to take the health of the breed forward , we have had many meetings and dialogue over a period of time with the Kennel Club that have not been instigated by Media frenzy but by the Breeders themselves .

The Facts ….

The top winning Bulldog in question has an old eye injury, it is not visible to the naked eye in the normal manner of being examined by the judge nor is it visible without pulling the dog’s eyelid down and a light being used.

It was a knock to the eye the dog had as a puppy and as had no ill effects and the exhibitor had not given this a second thought as a reason the dog would not be classed as healthy by the independent veterinarian on the day.

It seems the Kennel Club are assuming that any mark on the cornea of any Bulldog is due to damage caused by eye disease, in this case this is simply not true, and will be taken up with the Kennel Club by representatives of the Bulldog Breed Council at a meeting on 23rd March which we hopefully will prevent situations like this re-occurring in future

In all other areas this bulldog is healthy and passed all requirements.

This bulldog also went through this very same veterinary check as a volunteer at the trial run held by the BUBA [British Utility Breeds Association] in December 2011which was witnessed and watched by two independent Show officials of the society. With this passed obviously there was no warning that this failure was going to happen at such a high profile show in front of the world just a few months later.

We wish to add that Bulldog Breeders, Judges and Exhibitors are in a total disbelief because this bulldog has done so well not only in the UK but also in Europe.

We ask but one more point for you to ponder, this bulldog is fit for function, it’s a dog and as such has the freedom to enjoy its life with the rough and tumble that dogs at play have, we as a breed have no intention to say our dogs must be wrapped in cotton wool, they are a tough dog.

Being a dog, any dog, accidents can and do happen!

rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
an interesting article written by a vet here :

http://naia.typepad.com/naia/2011/01...follow-up.html
Originally Posted by rune View Post
|That would be a US vet.

I disagree with ectropian being subjective----it is either present or not present.

rune
She is a US vet, Marthina Greer DVM, that is also involved in showing and breeding Pembroke Welsh Corgis.

I read the article and was very unimpressed with the amount of opinion vs. the amount of science, but I guess vets are allowed opinion as well.

Ruby
Page 38 of 40 « First < 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 >