View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes because my OH is so easy going he wouldn't mind at all and would trust me to take on something that would fit in with our current gang and routine.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Or a foster. Or one you`d found in the street. Or going to be put down. Or just doing a favour for a mate, just a few days, honest.............
Haha I tried all these when I was a child - I even said I had found a pup in a sack on the banks of the River Lune on the way to school which was obviously an attempt to drown it but I had really bought it off a lad in my class I was desperate for a dog.

I don't need to ask permission to have another dog, as my OH is very laidback and he knows I would only get another if I really wanted one. However, I would always discuss it with him first as I don't think it is fair to just land an animal in a household unless everyone is on side.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Oops I had already replied this first time around!!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I do pretty much what I want. I do keep him in the picture but I don't ask permission. The dogs are mine, I pay for everything, he could object if he wanted to but he loves the dogs the same as I do (most of the time), I don't think I will be adding any more to the pack though!

OH used to keep bringing home cars without a word to me and once bartered my little monkey bike without telling me, I was upset to say the least!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Just been through this myself I've seen a lovely lemon/white KC reg working cocker bitch for sale not far from me I thought hmmmm it's OH's birthday soon maybe I could smuggle it in on the pretence of it being his b'day pressie, knowing ultimatley the dog would be mine

I'm sooooo puppy broody at the moment

OH would have accepted it I'm sure but I don't think he'd have been too happy - I brought up a conversation about puppies etc and he quite rightly pointed out that with the 3 pooches I have now it would be really difficult to have some 1:1 time without them (especially Kiara) getting jealous, we're quite a happy family all of us at the moment and to add another dog in - no matter how cute ) probably wouldn't be a good idea

However if we'd only had 1 or 2 dogs - yeah I would've got her and just brought her home, he knows what I'm like and accepts that he will always be surrounded by dogs and he secretly loves it
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't need his say so, he's already tried to convince ME that we have the time, space and money for a BC puppy. (I would love one, but I don't think we do...) Um, I wonder if I'll come home one day and HE has got a dog

I did get Simon without telling him. It wasn't planned though, he literally was brought to my door whilst my OH was working away. I knew he was a doggy person though, and would be happy about it.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:54 PM
I would if it was a springer that would fit into our home and if the money situation etc in our house was right, but only because i know that hubby would always have more than i would.

It wouldnt happen though because i know now that really we have what is right for us and it would be silly in the situation we are in now to take another.

That said there is the most adorable puppy come into rescue that i would really really love to get, my family are banging on to get her, but i have had to stand firm and go with my head not my heart and say no.

So i know if i ever thought that we (meaning i), cos i do most of the practical things for the dogs could cope with another then he would take what ever springer i bought in.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:06 PM
No - any animal I've brought into the home from a Robo' hamster to a mouse etc has always been a joint decision. Wellll......... it's really mostly been my suggestion lol but I haven't yet made any animal-related decisions without my beloved's agreement.

Dog-wise it was me that initially wanted one really (have been wanting one since I was about 4 / 5!!) but we discussed it together - he is in all the time so as he'd be doing a lot of the dog walking / general dog care it was obviously very important he was fully ok about it! But in the end he turned out to be just as enthusiastic as me. After we'd first seen Whisper on the rescue's website it was him that kept mentioning her and saying we ought to go and see her......... and really I think it was him that fell for her when we met her........ and he loves her just as much as I do. xx

But no. Definitely wouldn't make a big decision like that on my own.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Hmmm yes and no. Yes because I do everything with the dogs anyway. And no because he earns more money than I do so would have to put the money for the dog anyway - it's why I don't have a deposit down on a puppy right now (that and other situations have arose)
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:34 PM
No I wouldn't - the only time I would take a dog in would be in an emergency as a very temporary measure (if we had the facilities to do so) but even then I would check it was ok with him first.

If I wanted another permanent addition to our family it will always be a joint decision My husband is incredibly good with the dogs and whilst I tend to do most of the 'activities' with them (ringcraft, agility, sledding etc) he is the one who walks them every day as his shift work allows him to take them out whilst I am at work. For this reason any new addition would have a large impact on him too.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >