Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 01:18 PM

What`s your training method?

I`ve been surprised by some of the training methods advocated lately and wondered how many people here use reward-based training and how many use other methods.
Do you, for example use lures or shaping? or do you rely on aversives? Or a mixture?
I`m talking about just basic stuff rather than correcting challenging behaviour. How, for instance would you teach a dog to sit?
And how would you teach a dog recall?
Boxerfan
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi There

I am currently training to be a trainer and we are a reward based club, we have puppy/beginner classes, intermediate which involves a basic amount of agility and then advanced (for showing etc) anyway in response to your query we would put the tit bit in front of the nose and slowly raise up and back - remember the bottom of the dog will go the opposite way to the head - therefore if you are raising the treat the bottom will automatically go down into sit, after say 4 or 5 goes introduce the command.

With recall it is very different it's best to do it with two people, one holds the dog by the collar while you show the dog the treat and run away (max 10 metres) calling it's name and making it sound fun (the person holding your dog does not say anything), when you are in position go down onto your knees hold your arms out call the dog once more and then when he/she comes to you reward with the treat.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Emma
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Definitely reward based and would probably say lure - or poss. mixture of lure, shaping as sometimes use clicker to shape the behaviour.

For a sit I would use lure initially with piece of food in finger/thumb and once this known move to hand signal only, then finally add the voice command.

Although another method I guess with the clicker is to click when the behaviour is offered only and then add hand signal/voice command.

Basically I don't force any position i.e. push into a sit.

Edit to add: recall

More recently I have whistlefed my dogs which in turn helps with the recall.

I also use the clicker - whistle - dog looks, click and treat - initially with dog on lead and close by - gradually building distance. dog is never punished for returning, try to only build on success and avoid failure! If dog doesn't return - run in opposite direction madly! But generally always taught young and avoiding failure so this becomes a win win recall!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Teaching a dog to sit is easy, IMO. Lift the head (hand gently under chin) and lean gently on bum. Reward with treat. Do this a few times saying the word "sit" and there you go!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Teaching a dog to sit is easy, IMO. Lift the head (hand gently under chin) and lean gently on bum. Reward with treat. Do this a few times saying the word "sit" and there you go!
you do know that you can break a dogs back doing this ?

apparently

i heard it from someone who heard it from someone
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
you do know that you can break a dogs back doing this ?

apparently

i heard it from someone who heard it from someone
I would think the pressure would need to be v. hard to do that wouldn't it - and Vicki did say gently
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:23 PM
The sit...I used treat in hand hold hand just by nose and raise hand just above and over the head, using the word SIT each time all of mine did it without realising ..........to busy watching the hand.

Down the same way except the hand (with treat) goes to the floor....DOWN being used.

Paw.....the same except I took the paw in my hand...'good boy or Good Girl'...treat given

Recall....bending down, clap hands and excited....Come, followed by treat and lots of praise.

Sorry don't use treats now though, I usually stop that early on and go over to praise (lots of it)

My big factor of training to is .....calma calma, never panic or get frustrated. Seems to work here
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I would think the pressure would need to be v. hard to do that wouldn't it - and Vicki did say gently
yeah like dropping a grand piano on it or something

- i was being feacitious ( dont know if spelt right ) - ive used the same method as vicki myself but someone took it to extremes by making up a totally hypothetical back injury situation on another thread they couldnt back up to make someone out to be something they r not
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I've been using clicker training recently (with lots of help from Shona).

I did used to use treats only, but find that my dogs respond much faster with the clicker as well as a treat

I agree with YS definately stay calm. And if the dog isn't getting it, try something else and come back to the other thing later on. Always end a training session on a positive note
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I use Rewards food and toy based, have used clicker also.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »