View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2009, 09:02 PM

So So Proud of the Moo-Pest & Bladey-Dog!

Yesterday, I knew that OH and other keepers & beaters etc where doing the last partrigde drive of the day about a 5/10 min field walk from my house, so I decided to walk Misty & Blade along, so Misty can have a listen to the guns and meet some new people and dogs!

I just got to the hill, and the drive had finished, so Misty didn't hear alot of the shooting, (she still heard some, and just pricked her ears!). I wandered up with them both on leads to where the beaters wait for the beaters wagon.

Misty didn't bark at the beaters, which is how she usually greets new people, but just stood there, looking all cute. I let her off the lead, and she crawled towards one of them, and he gave her a stroke and a cuddle and that was it, she was sniffing around everyone, before plonking herself next to someone and just staying there with her front paws on his leg!

Anyway, the beaters got picked up and went on their merry way, and I started to walk home, when headkeepers oh drove past and asked if me and the dogs wanted to go back to the beaters hut with her, so I put Misty and Blade in the back of the truck and Misty was a bit scared at first, but then realised she knew half the dogs in there, and soon was sniffing round them all. Blade wasn't overly bothered by anything, as he's seen it all before.

Back at the beaters hut, I got asked if I could go with the keepers & headkeepers OH to sweep the valley to see if there were any birds left to be picked.

I ended up taking Misty Blade, and Hamish & Gracie too! Gracie was tired and just mooched along behind me, Hamish went with the headkeeper, (He gets easily confused and just goes with someone in the tweed suit!) Blade was hunting really well in the bracken, and Misty, well I thought I had lost her, as I had no idea where she disappeared to!
It wasn't until we got the top of the hill, that I saw her with one of the other keepers, working away like she'd been doing it forever!

I shouted her, and blew the recal whistle, and she came tearing towards me, I was utterly amazed, as she can be quite ignorant, and we haven't been doing the recal whistle for long!

She has also held her first partridge in her mouth, and wasn't bothered by the feathers in her mouth, and let go of it when I said 'Dead'. Then she pinched a partridge from the headkeepers hand, and that was her only naughty bit!

I was truely amazed at how well she coped, she just took everything in her stride! I am so incrediable proud of her, and it won't be long before she is accompanying me in the beating line! Not bad for a dog that one of the not so doggy keepers said was a runt and needed a bullet!

I was proud of Blade, as he quite often just walks to heel, and doesnt really hunt, but he was loving yesterday!

Sorry about the long post, but I am bursting at how good my babies were!

xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Well done to all your doglets, sounds like you had a really good day