Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Paws - smelly and licking lots

Ever since the snow fell I've noticed Woody's paws are smellier than usual and he is licking, one in particular, lots.

I've had a look, and they all seem fine but is there anything I should be looking out for with these signs? Is it just likely to be the constant cold, wet irritating?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I wonder if any grit has irritated them? When it is icy Dogs Trust grit the exercise areas so we don't all end up on our ass but sometimes the grit seems to irritate the dogs feet. I wonder if it is worth bathing and drying his feet after he has come in from a walk?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Please be careful, as road salt/grit has killed a few dogs with them licking their paws and the salt ingested. It would be a good idea to wash dog's paws when they come back from a walk.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Please be careful, as road salt/grit has killed a few dogs with them licking their paws and the salt ingested. It would be a good idea to wash dog's paws when they come back from a walk.
Agree with above - read this in paper today. Also some stupid people putting down anti-freeze which of course is fatal if ingested. I have a bowl of warm water ready when I get back from the walks for paw dunging. Hope Woody's paws get better soon.