Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 04:18 PM

Oliver. The BBC dramatisation

We have just watched last weeks dramatisation of Oliver Twist. It was a pleasure to watch. Sykes was fab and there have been tears here at the ending.......Can anyone tell me what else Tom Hardy (Sykes) has been in?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I thought it was fantastic but I have never read the book so was intrigued by the dark side of it and the deaths etc. Maybe one day I'll read it!
Becky
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Gosh where do I start

Don't think he has done any stage stuff mainly TV & Films

TV:
Band of Brothers
Colditz
The Virgin Queen
Sweeney Todd
Stuart: A Life Backwards
Gideons Daughter
Cape Wrath

Film:
Black Hawk Down
Star Trek Nemesis
Simon: An English Legionnaire
Marie Antoinette
Flood
Minotaur
The Reckoning
LD 50 Lethal Dose

All this since 2001 !!!!!!!

There are more I think
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this dramatisation. It was really well done with a brilliant cast.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2007, 06:00 PM
loved it!:smt002
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 06:57 PM
OMG i LOVED it , i have watched that flippin Musical of Oliver about 100 times & dont think i ever understood the Story (all that singing got in the way) but now i understand it all! a miracle!!!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 09:41 PM
It had us all entranced from aged 7 to 40.......

Thanks for the list of his stuff. It was Cape Wrath I had seen him in. I have a new favourite, still not as good as Johnny though.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Haven't watched the current version, but the David Lean film takes some beating. The film didn't stick to the book exactly but the acting was superb.

I prefer the ending in the 1948 film to that f the book, but then I'm a sucker for a happy(ish)ending.

Can't believe that anyone didn't know the story-lol must be showing my age !-did several of the books at school & have read most of the books since as well,

The only one role that is nearly always cast wrong is the dog-in the book the dog is not given a breed, but is described in chapter 13
“Come in, d'ye hear?” growled this engaging ruffian.

A white shaggy dog, with his face scratched and torn in twenty different places, skulked into the room.

“Why didn't you come in afore?” said the man. “You're getting too proud to own me afore company, are you? Lie down
The dog has never been portrayed correctly not a SBT or a BT nor a Boxer(as in one film), but a white shaggy dog. Not a lot of people know this(or have forgotten if they have read the book) He was called Bull'e Eye though

Bull's-eye wagged his tail in acknowledgment of this unusually endearing form of speech; and, giving vent to another admonitory growl for the benefit of Oliver, led the way onward.
The dog of course died at the end

A dog, which had lain concealed till now, ran backwards and forwards on the parapet with a dismal howl, and collecting himself for a spring, jumped for the dead man's shoulders. Missing his aim, he fell into the ditch, turning completely over as he went; and striking his head against a stone, dashed out his brains
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:26 AM
he didnt die in this one, went off with dodger!!!!! Really nice looking Bull Terrier!!!!Though i suspect his "bulls eye" eye was make up!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Really enjoyed it! But my favourite actor was the dog!!!! He was gorgeous!!!!