View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Excited PP! SBT - how to stop dog urinating when greeting?

Anyone any guidance on how to stop my darling soaking my feet, skirt, trousers, on greeting me. Tried the lower quieter voice but still widdles LOL Makes me laugh though bless him xx
tricks
Dogsey Junior

16-11-2005, 03:27 PM
got no advice just hope that he grows out of it my dog did the same when he was little but doesnt do it as much now he is older
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by tricks
got no advice just hope that he grows out of it my dog did the same when he was little but doesnt do it as much now he is older
Thanks for that. At least I'm not destined for a life of soggy slippers LOL
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Do you mean you little dog wets with excitment on greeting you ? If so when first you come home /into the room ignore him/no word/eye contact until he calms down.. then praise for being a good dog By speaking to him when he does it you are acknowledging/rewarding the unwanted behaviour so he will go on doing it.
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Yes, he jumps about and 'leaks' a bit on the floor or whatever is close by. It's not a bladder emptying, just a twinkle. I've tried the almost ignoring him until he calms down a bit but as soon as I do speak, he jumps about again and peeeeeeees LOL Won't he think he's been a bad boy if we ignore him totally when we come in the house? don't want my little sausage thinking he's unloved
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 03:42 PM
You have to try to calm down the excitement of when you come home I think...

The less excitable he is he wont pee...lol...

I know it's extreamly hard but try not making a fuss of him for a few days for at least 10 mins when you get home, then go greet him when it's all calm. Be consistant with it and see if it makes a difference. Then stick with it.

It's probably pretty much the same as how you deal with a dog that jumps up at you when you come home...It's all a form of over excitement and if you can make it a calmer event you should be ok!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by minky
Yes, he jumps about and 'leaks' a bit on the floor or whatever is close by. It's not a bladder emptying, just a twinkle. I've tried the almost ignoring him until he calms down a bit but as soon as I do speak, he jumps about again and peeeeeeees LOL Won't he think he's been a bad boy if we ignore him totally when we come in the house? don't want my little sausage thinking he's unloved
....no not at all almost ignoring him is not good enough
...if you want to stop the unwanted behaviour you need to stop rewarding it with attention..
...as soon as he starts the wetting ignore him every time and he will learn the way to get your attention is not to wet,
...don't expect it to work straight away as many people do,
... you have to go on doing it and eventually the behaviour will stop,
... this is where people go wrong they are not consistant
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
....no not at all almost ignoring him is not good enough
...if you want to stop the unwanted behaviour you need to stop rewarding it with attention..
...as soon as he starts the wetting ignore him every time and he will learn the way to get your attention is not to wet,
...don't expect it to work straight away as many people do,
... you have to go on doing it and eventually the behaviour will stop,
... this is where people go wrong they are not consistant
Excellent I will start off tonight. So, let me get this right, is he weeing to get my attention or weeing because he can't help himself due to excitement?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Cassie used to do it out of excitement when she was little but grew out of it. Just ignored the behaviour, cleaned it up and apologised to whatever guest she did it on LOL
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 04:35 PM
LOL that sounds more like my dog training methods lol

Trouble is, just worried when I take him round my mum's in a few weeks time he decides to christen her new not cheap in the slightest rugs LOL Better take a bottle of 2001 carpet cleaner with me, either that or sellotape a thimble to Danny's lipstick LOL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >