Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2005, 11:03 AM

stud dog

someone asked me today (on the school run ) if i would know how to find a good stud dog for her bitch , has this is not my breed , i thought i would ask on here, she has a 2 year old boxer (who has been heart tested as well as other relevent tests ) could someone please advice , i could only recommend k.c has thats we i got my information for stud for my own bitch . thanks for the help in this matter
julie
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Can't she go back to the breeder of her bitch? They will at least know the pedigree and hopefully be able to point her in the right direction for a compatible stud dog that will compliment her pedigree.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 11:11 AM
again its all down to research
relevant health tests which as you mention information should be available from KC
perhaps if the stud dog is shown you can get an idea of how well he is doing and therefore this will relect on how well he fits to the standard etc

also to research the stud owner and their affix/kennels as Im sure your friend will not want to breed from a dog who is ill thought of as that reputation will then reflect back n here as the pups owner

Hope that makes sense
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2005, 11:12 AM
thats a bit hard c,c her breeder has died (last year i think ) so no one to help her there , has the lady had lived my herself , im really stuck as i dont know this breed , would k.c or vets help out ?
julie
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2005, 11:14 AM
thanks , Lel , that made perfect sence .
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 11:21 AM
MM

your friend could try contacting a boxer club for information.
They may even have some websites up
I know with staffys there are a number of clubs throughout the country and some have websites with stud dogs advertised on

but again i would recommend research or go by recommendation - just because its advertised does not been it is tip top quality
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Why does she want to breed?

If the bitch is not already a success in the show ring I would advise having her assessed by a breed expert to ensure that she is worthy to be bred. There are a lot of poorly/unwisely bred Boxers around, and too many end up in the pounds and shelters.

Owners of good stud dogs can be very selective regarding the bitches with whom they choose to have their name associated.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I have often found dogs that have never been shown, to be the equal if not superior to many show champions, there are absolutely no gaurantees,when breeding no matter how many CC the dog may have.
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:10 PM
hi i am not sure of all the ladies details , but i will pass on all the info i have recieved and tell her what you all recommend , thank you fortaking the time to reply
julie
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I agree 100% with Shadowboxer, your friend may think her bitch is worth breeding off but thats not really good enough, unless she shows her dog and had it assessed by breed experts and actually done well with her bitch. too many people think oh I have such a such a breed, and ohh my bitch is lovely would like some pups from her and make a few bob, this is not IMO a good enough reason to breed, you should ONLY breed for the improvement of a breed. there are way too many dogs being bred that end up in rescues all over the country, and many are really bad examples of their particular breed, if she has been showing her bitch, she would have met many stud dog owners at the shows, she would have met many that have dogs that are compatable, and not compatable to her breeding programme, therfore would not need you to find a stud dog owner on her behalf. I would suggest you tell inform her the true reason for breeding, and not to add to the ever increasing burden of poor quality dogs that are always available. sorry if this sound a little harsh, but I have come across so many people that just have not got a clue, to the damage they are doing to breeds.

Mo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »