Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by mustards mum
I appreciate your view; I have however been told that a dobes tail can be raised, straight or turned in between his/her legs and I apprecaite my dog from all angles.

I personally prefer my dogs to have docked tails, I'm assured by my breeder as Kath has said that they don't suffer when their tails are docked.

I have been ripped into by people who don't have docked breeds before for saying that I want my Dobes docked. One of my main reasons for this is that a dobes tail, however it hangs, is a whip and it does cause welts on adults legs and childrens faces. My mother in law had an undocked dobe and we couldn't let the very happy dog mingle with children due to it's tails whip like effect.

I'm very sad that docking looks like it's going to be banned
Cody is 4 years old and mixes and mingles happily with my grandchildren ages 1 and 3, his tail has never caused a problem and we have had no welts from his tail. I don't have a problem with docking, my last 3 Dobes were docked, but I do have a problem with people dissing my dog because he has got a tail.
I have had the breed for years now, my daughter was raised with them and I will always have a Dobe, docked or not. By the way, I also have a Vizsla with a full tail.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Charmergirl
I hope tail docking is banned. What's the point of it? I've heared many excuses for it e.g.-

'Spaniels can damage their tails when out on shoots if they're not docked' how come labradors, setters, pointers, retrievers etc aren't docked then?

'Thieves and attackers can't grab hold of doberman's tails whilst they are guarding' How come Alsations aren't docked then?

'It looks better' Errrrrrrrr, no it doesn't. We're used to it, that's all.

random - cutting off a puppy's tail is the equvalent in pain to cutting off a baby's little finger, how is that not 'real' animal cruelity? Do you really think that some isolated incidents with tails and dew claws warrents the removal of all dogs' tails and claws? Even show animals who are never going to work in their life? I've seen dogs get their legs messed up in barbed wire and traps - does that mean we should amputate puppies legs at birth and make them go around on motorised wheel chairs?
Just relating to my own breed here, but Weimies are HPR, labs,and goldens I believe only usually retrieve? Pointers only usually point? No hunting or 'flushing' (which the spaniels are for). They do a different job, hence why Weimies are usually docked, and labs not. The way docked and undocked gundogs work differ, I belieive this is why some are usually docked and some are not.

I also have a very good friend who has had Rotties for a very long time, and bred them, the band method of docking was what he used (it was totally acceptable at the time) and not one of the pups expressed any amount of discomfort or pain. The dew claws are a different matter, but unlike tails which obviously have a purpose, dew claws don't.

One of my best friends had 6 fingers and toes at birth, the extra digits were surgically removed when she was a baby. Should this kind of thing be banned also? After all, they were only removed for cosmetic reasons, that must have been child cruelty at it's worst, if docking is to be considered animal cruelty....

At the end of the day, some people are for and some against, and that's how it will be and when the ban takes place, as i'm sure it will, those of us against it will just have to accept the change, I will always have Weimies, docked or not and i'll love the breed just as much as I ever did.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Years ago I used to have a Dane mix, I got a few black eyes and he made my nose bleed a few times with his tail, he was just such a happy dog !!! My reflexes got pretty quick.
Charmergirl
New Member!
Female 

12-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by random
One of my best friends had 6 fingers and toes at birth, the extra digits were surgically removed when she was a baby.
Yes - but I bet she had an anaesthetic! I don't see how docking can't hurt - cutting off a sensitive part of the body which has nerves in it without any anaesthetic has got to hurt! The tail isn't an extra digit that will get a dog pointed out and laughed at. It is a highly useful cumunication tool for a dog.

'every dog should have a tail to tell'
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5