View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Cookie has cost over £4,000 in 16months. Would never ever be without insurance. The other 3 have never needed to use there insurance ,but if they get ill ,I would rather worry about them and not how to pay the vet bills.

It costs me £55 a month for 4 Dogs and 1 Cat
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Well I used to be the 'insurance is a waste of money' brigade until we had our GSD Jasper! He was always coming down with something acne, special dietry needs and eventually CDRM - he cost us a fortune in vet bills.

So when we got Ozzy we automatically got insurance too and I am glad of it, I am also with M & S and have the no excess and it is cheap. I have peace of mind if anything happens I will be fine to take him to the vets.

My sisters friend has a labbie who ate their childs dummy the other day and the operation cost over £200 in all with meds etc, she wasn't insured and really struggled to pay the bill - it prompted my sister to get insurance out on her lab as a result!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
yep
have bruno insured and have claimed more than its cost me this year alone - I pay £9 per month which is £220 ove rthe time we have had him - I have claimed over £500 of numerous treatments including xrays etc.

also on discovering his hip dysplacia and athritis early this year our policy has not gone up - so I am happ y- I am with more than and have a £50 excess

dani
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 07:48 PM
OMG how good is M&S!!!! I've just done an online quote and it came out at £10.65 that's £7 a month cheaper than others I've looked at. It does go up about 50% once the dog is over 9, but that's still not a lot more than the £17 I would have paid in the first place. Plus it only goes up 50 pence with no excess! Thank you soooo much, you've all just saved me a fortune.

Oh and to answer the question. We've never had insurance before, luckily nothing really nasty has happened. Bonnie had a couple of major ops but nothing more than a few hundred quid a piece, Pickles is a crossbreed and although he's had trouble with his teeth the amount I've paid in vets bills has only really amounted to about £500.

Saying that though my next dog is definitely going to be insured, I thought about putting the money away but I'd just spend it.

Guess I'm just getting sensible in my old age.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
OMG how good is M&S!!!! I've just done an online quote and it came out at £10.65 that's £7 a month cheaper than others I've looked at. It does go up about 50% once the dog is over 9, but that's still not a lot more than the £17 I would have paid in the first place. Plus it only goes up 50 pence with no excess! Thank you soooo much, you've all just saved me a fortune.
That is exactly how much I pay for Teagan, and boy has it been worth it!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2005, 10:56 PM
That's it though you just don't know what's around the corner do you?

Just think it will be nice to take them to the vets and not think "How the hell am I gonna pay for this".
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Well after all your helpful comments, I have decided that I need somesort of insurnace, put problaly not thie lifetime insurnace that I currently have.

So, I am chaning from Petplan to M & S (no excess) If Ernie or the cats get something that they have to have tablet from, for the rest of thier lifes, i can budget from that. But it is the instant HUGE bills that I would be firghtened off (Ok, I would find the money but still...)

So M & S, As Ernie is JRT I think, he may well be a bit of something else so they said to insure him as a cross breed. So it is 8 pound something with no excess. MUCH better than £16! with petPlan. OK, not hte life cover but...
Tara_G
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I thought the M&S policy did offer life cover
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 11:49 AM
M&S is Life Cover
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
M & S Life cover only pays a certain amount per year, per condition, (£7000 I believe or something like that) then your on your own. Pet plans lifetime policy or the policy I have for Jake has no cap on it therefore if in one year Jake gets a condition over say for example £7000, then he will still be covered as there is no cap on his policy. More expensive but I believe in life you get what you pay for.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >