Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 03:56 PM
hi mike

I am so sad that you are having this kind of problem.

I lived in a flat - no garden when I got my staffy from staffie rescue in scotland - where in Uk are you ?

Some great suggestions there - If you are really dedicated to the special needs girlie you have seen a bit of perseverance may well prove that you are the right owner for her and that you are willing to put the effort in - perhaps the rescue might see that as better than the fact that you dont have a garden...

dont give up - we need more people like you !
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks so much guys, both for the advice and the personal messages. I'll keep at it, and if it proves a loss you have all given me some great avenues to try. The amount of parks around here is amazing (i live in nottingham) all within a 10 minute drive, so i do have some hope. I'm truly hoping that i manage to adopt this lovely staffie girl but the sad fact is the rescue centres are full of staffies waiting for homes, if it not meant to be with this one i'm pretty sure another will come along!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 04:14 PM
So sorry for your loss, and sorry for the rescues losig out on a good home for a dog because of a silly rule!

We aren't suitable to rehome as work full-time, not 9-5 so dogs not left alone long at all but it's a blanket policy.

I was told we couldn't rehome a cat when we lived where we were before.
The reason? We had a garden, but the cat would have to go upstairs when it went in the door as our flat was the top floor of a house. We had our own garden, our own ground floor front door and no communal areas but still the stairs did it.

Here's hoping you find a rescue with some sense. x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Here are the contact details of some rescues in your area. Hopefully one of them will have the perfect pal for you.

Babbington Rescue
Westby Lane, Awsworth, Notts, NG16 2SS.
Tel: 0115 932 4576. Fax: 0115 930 8811
E-mail: babbington@prima.ne
www.babbington-rescue.org.uk

Bramcote Animal Rescue
6 Ashtree Square, Bramcote Village, Beeston, NG9 3HJ
Tel: 01159 220286 or 07778 352541
Email: Amanda@bramcote-rescue.co.uk
www.bramcote-rescue.co.uk

East Midlands Rescue Centre
23 Nethergreen, Eastwood, Notts, NG16 3DW
Tel: 01773 718357 Email: denise.garratt@ntlworld.com
www.eastmidlandsrescue.org.uk

Jay Gee Sanctuary For Dogs
Warsop Lane, Blidworth, Nottinghamshire.
Tel: 01623 792886
http://beehive.thisishull.co.uk/jaygeesanctuaryfordogs

PAWS Rescue Shelter
Gedling, Nottingham.
Tel: 01159521519 Email: jinniek9@aol.com

RSPCA Animal Shelter
Nottingham Road, Radcliffe-on-Trent, Notts NGl2 2EW
www.rspca.org.uk
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 04:50 PM
So sorry to hear this but you've been given some great advice on here and some good details of rescues to try.
Just as a side note, we don't have a garden and we have a border collie! We have a small yard and the dog flap goes from the kitchen to the yard but no garden at all. I have no doubt that some rescues would consider us unfit to rescue but that's completely untrue. Cassie was at the vet last week and the vet pronounced her 'a perfect example of her breed'. Now she wouldn't be that if we weren't suitable would she?
I guess the point I'm trying to make is don't give up. Good luck
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 05:39 PM
The only problem I can see if your dog needs to be isolated, i.e. contracts Kennel cough... but apart from that it seems ridiculous, there are so many dogs that need a loving home that you could so obviously provide Fingers crossed hun, I hope your new baby will turn up soon, sure Jake will direct you to them
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear about Jake and hope your search for a new dog goes well.

Have you read Wufflehoond's new thread posted today - staffy Pup?

Might help?

Keep us posted with how you get on, it sounds like you'd be a fab owner.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 05:46 PM
The home I work at dont have a blanket policy we take each case on its own merit, if someone lives in a flat, but has facilities to take the dog out then they are accepted, lets face it someone can have a massive lovely garden, but dont allow the dogs on it as they may not want it ruined? same as some ones house may be large and well kept? but the dog may end up outside because they are very house proud, we appreciate not all dog lovers live in their own house, have their own garden etc one thing I would say IF you are in rented accomodation? even though you already had a dog previously some landlords do not like dogs on their property, before going for a rescue make sure you are allowed dogs, all too often people rehome their dogs because the landlord will not allow them?

Mo
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Here is the link to Wufflehounds thread.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=88603
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I've had similar issues with rescues because I have children.. My current 2 were bought as pups from breeders for that reason. sorry for your loss of Jake. good luck with your search.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »