View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

29-09-2004, 01:34 PM

Letter from Pascoes re testing on animals...

I sent an email to Pascoes recently asking them their position on Animal testing (or if they commission any other third party to do so on thier behalf). Here is their reply:

Dear Azz

Thank you for your e-mail enquiring about our policy on animal testing.

It is not Pascoe’s company policy to join organisations of any nature: our mission is to manufacture healthy, nutritious and balanced petfoods. In order to achieve this, and as part of our development programme, we utilise live animals in feeding trials to establish both the palatability performance of our foods, and the subjective condition of the animal (skin, coat, general wellbeing).

Palatability trials involve preference tests where each animal in offered a choice of the trial product and a benchmark competitor product. The animals are free to choose between the two diets and the quantities eaten monitored. These trials usually take place over 10 – 12 days.

We also carry out longer term trials where a single product is fed, the purpose being to establish the continuing acceptance of the diet and to assess the well being of the animal.

We carry out these tests in collaboration with breeders, private individuals where the animals are household pets, and with local kennels and catteries.

None of our tests or trials involve vivisection or any invasive procedures, practices which we abhor.

I hope this answers your question: should you have any other enquiries about Pascoe's or our products please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

---------------------

What do you guys think?
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2004, 01:53 PM
:smt023 i have thought about trying my lot on Pascoes in the past, but as they are Barfing dogs which they seem to enjoy i feel slightly uneasy changing their diet, but that was some really positive feedback from them :smt023 what i like to hear.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 02:50 PM
That's great Azz. My dogs loved Pascoe's but I was finding it really hard to get hold of
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Thats great eRaze!!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

29-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Yes it brill news, I always thought they were a brilliant company from when I found out that even thier 'cheapest' food contains no artifical colours, flavours or preservatives!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2004, 10:57 PM
If they carry out on private individuals dogs- how do they know the owner isnt feeding anything else as well - as tests such as this need to be in a controlled environment

Im a sceptic :smt018
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2004, 06:08 AM
I was about to say the same thing lel, as tests go they would be worthless
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Would be interesting to know what the private individuals, breeders, kennels & catteries receive for participating in what should be a trial with strictly recorded & enforced protocols. Also, where is the control population? Are standards & protocols strictly adhered to? If so who/what ensures that this is the case?
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

30-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Looks vague to me. I'd suggest they are feeding the dogs under laboratory conditions - else they couldn't get the correct readings.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm with SB Lel Chloe and others on this one ...sounds like 'vague politician' speak to me..why can't they just say 'we don't do any testing on animals'? I bet they don't carry the logo I posted above!! Sorry folks but this topic always angers me having read what was done to dogs totally unnecessarily (including to 6 Mini Schns my own breed ) to test pet food! Why the h***do they need to test pet food can someone tell me? If the ingredients are wholesome the food does not need testing Burns and some others don't need to test..could there be a profit motive in there somewhere
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >