View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2007, 05:32 PM

How can I tell if my bitch has had puppies before?

I recently got another dog (rescue) and I was wandering if there is a simple way to tell if she has ever had a litter of pups, or if there are any signs that would indicate she has? I am not thinking of breeding her by the way she is a pet only and a wonderful gentle girl but I was just curious as she is very 'nippley' and wondered if this was because she has had pups previously?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Mya has had a litter, and I could tell straight away, as she had a "baggy" tummy
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree with Vicki, the tummy doesnt seem as taught, also the nipples can sometimes be quite large once a bitch has had Pups
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 08:56 PM
some bitches can have 'gross nipples' even without ever having been bred, so i wouldnt use that as a reliable indicator.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 10:45 PM
is it poss for you to take a pic so we can see then we might be able to say a bit better sorry hun.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Hard to tell just by looking, because any female dog allowed to mature sexually can develop the large nipples and enlarged vulva. If you have her spayed, the vet might be able to tell depending on how long it has been since the litter, but even that isn't a guarantee.
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Usually "extended" nipples is either a sign of having had false pregnancy, being bred, or even just repeated heats. You can tell in a spay as the spay turns up " gravid uterus". This is retained tissue that can occur especially if the female did not receive a oxytocian shot..