Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by staffer
well its easy to buy a puppy from any body if you tell them what they want to hear
But it shouldn't amount to that, you should (IMO) judge the person as a whole not just what comes out of their mouth.
but some ppl genuinly cant afford to pay high prices for a pedigree dog but some just want them to sell on or breed
Fair enough. But for me health is everything, and to get a healthy pedigree you have to pay the price.
When I wanted a dog at 17 I didn't have much money, so I went to a rescue centre and got Pickles rather than trawling the free ads for a cheap pedigree. Sure I can't be sure if he's completely healthy, but I gave a needy dog a new home. If you're so skint that you need to put "must be free" in your add then I wouldn't consider getting a dog at all. Purchase price is nothing compared to vets bills! Believe me, I get enough of them!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2005, 10:33 PM
A good breeder, and not one that breeds at given opportunity and just for a fast buck, should no way have to advertise in these free ads. All the breeder I know have waiting lists for all their pups before their born. This gives the breeder plenty of time to check potential buyer out properly and draw up proper contracts for anything which might go wrong afterwards.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by annestaff
A good breeder, and not one that breeds at given opportunity and just for a fast buck, should no way have to advertise in these free ads. All the breeder I know have waiting lists for all their pups before their born. This gives the breeder plenty of time to check potential buyer out properly and draw up proper contracts for anything which might go wrong afterwards.
that may be your opinion but its not mine and not many others
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
But it shouldn't amount to that, you should (IMO) judge the person as a whole not just what comes out of their mouth.

Fair enough. But for me health is everything, and to get a healthy pedigree you have to pay the price.
When I wanted a dog at 17 I didn't have much money, so I went to a rescue centre and got Pickles rather than trawling the free ads for a cheap pedigree. Sure I can't be sure if he's completely healthy, but I gave a needy dog a new home. If you're so skint that you need to put "must be free" in your add then I wouldn't consider getting a dog at all. Purchase price is nothing compared to vets bills! Believe me, I get enough of them!
why are you trying to twist everthing i say we are all not the same as you some ppl do things differant its not wanting a cheap dog i didnt say that did i , i said some ppl cant afford one just because you cant afford one dosnt mean you cant afforn to keep one if that was the case why have kids
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by annestaff
Totally agree with you there! A good breeder will only breed if they want a pup from the litter themselves and therefore are breeding to better the breed.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2005, 10:42 PM
that may be your opinion but its not mine and not many others
I beg to differ Staffer the majority of people I know and associate with also think the same way. Their aim is to better the breed and make sure that their pups go to the best homes possible.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Totally agree with you there! A good breeder will only breed if they want a pup from the litter themselves and therefore are breeding to better the breed.
yep.. agree fully with both

I don't believe in breeding to make money, breeding many different breeds, or many litters a year.

I personally would only want a puppy from a litter which the breeder has bred for him or herself. Why? Because I think we put more care into things that are for us, and not just things that are for sale...

Stupid analogy: when I cook for myself I wash vegetables fully and trim the fat off meat.... in some cafe or fast food place I doubt someone would go to that much trouble.... therefore I am more comfortable eating food I have prepared myself.

I bought a pup from a breeder that trims the fat off the meat, so to speak, because she wanted to keep a pup from that litter! (and ended up keeping 2!)

Does this make sense? lol
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:44 PM
why are you trying to twist everthing i say we are all not the same as you some ppl do things differant its not wanting a cheap dog i didnt say that did i , i said some ppl cant afford one just because you cant afford one dosnt mean you cant afforn to keep one if that was the case why have kids
Wasn't aware that I was, appologies if you think this. In no way was I reffering to you, just those that print ads stating "must be free".

Either way it is my opinion and I'm sticking to it, if you can't afford a good pedigree dog go to a rescue centre, there are plenty of pedigree/mongrels there looking for homes. You're right everyone does things differently and I for one would never use a free paper to get my new pooch.
Indeed anyone can have children, but you do get help from the government for that, dogs you don't.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2005, 10:46 PM
i was on a waiting list for Florrie (westie x dandie dinmont) i heard from word of mouth about the working abilites and looks and great [persoalities being turned out from the breeder in Hampshire, i got in contact put ma name down and got a tubby bitch pupp
although 2 of the litter were advertised i have nothing against advertising, people stil do it with cats and there seems little objections there
best wishes
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Another thing to add....

If I was selling good quality pups and had to advertise for some reason, I would be more than happy to pay for an ad, in a local paper, and in this way ensure that they went to good homes. I'm sure the price of a puppy covers the price of an ad several times over...
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »