Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm not really sure what you're asking? Your sentences aren't constructed properly so apologies if I get this wrong, but I'll have a go:

1. Gumtree is a way of advertising online. Our breeder had an advert on KC's own search page and on Gumtree to broaden their chances of selling each pup. I was mentioning this purely to show that we didn't actively seek, via the KC website, a puppy that was KC reg'd, it's just that he was. We were after a pet that had been bred in suitable conditions from a dam and a sire that we had seen. Possibly naive but I tend to trust my instincts on these kind of things.

2. No idea, I never even asked. It's quite simple really. We met them on a walk with him, they advised he was a great looking pup and suggested we stud him (very likely just a passing comment, however). We knew nothing about it so made some enquiries but decided it was not for us. I have no idea if he would be good at it or if he meets the requirements as we never even got that far with it. It is not something we want to do.

Hope that helps?
Responsible breeders do not advertize on websites like Gumtree etc. Most responsible breeders never have to advertize at all & prefer recommendation through word of mouth & reputation of producing typy health tested dogs that are definitely fit for purpose. As for my postings not making sense you seem to have answered a rhetorical question(one that does not need answering) & your naivity is obvious-one doesn't"stud"a dog one uses a dog at stud
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
With 41 dogs scored and a mean score of 22 (range 10-71) I wouldn't touch a beagle thats parents hadn't been scored!
THAT IS VERY HIGH!! just 41 scored and such a high average means there is much concern for this in beagles, I am with you others, wouldnt go within a mile of a breeder that doesnt hip score!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Responsible breeders do not advertize on websites like Gumtree etc. Most responsible breeders never have to advertize at all & prefer recommendation through word of mouth & reputation of producing typy health tested dogs that are definitely fit for purpose. As for my postings not making sense you seem to have answered a rhetorical question(one that does not need answering) & your naivity is obvious-one doesn't"stud"a dog one uses a dog at stud
You know I have to say, Pidge has been on here asking for advice (and taking it) from day 1 with her pup. She has a happy, healthy pup that she is doing her very best for. So...she didn't know how to source a top notch pup...she isn't on her own and people live and learn. At the end of the day what actually matters is how she treats her dog now she has him. From what I can see she treats him exceptionally well.

We all start somewhere and I wish I started out as well as she has. I think people need to ease up a bit. So...she got a pup that was advertised on Gumtree and it was froma someone who loved their dog and wanted pups. There are worse places to get a pup from...to be honest she could well have a better pup than if she had got one from someone on the KC Accredited breeders list...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You know I have to say, Pidge has been on here asking for advice (and taking it) from day 1 with her pup. She has a happy, healthy pup that she is doing her very best for. So...she didn't know how to source a top notch pup...she isn't on her own and people live and learn. At the end of the day what actually matters is how she treats her dog now she has him. From what I can see she treats him exceptionally well.

We all start somewhere and I wish I started out as well as she has. I think people need to ease up a bit. So...she got a pup that was advertised on Gumtree and it was froma someone who loved their dog and wanted pups. There are worse places to get a pup from...to be honest she could well have a better pup than if she had got one from someone on the KC Accredited breeders list...
Agreed! Good post!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Agreed! Good post!
Thankyou muchly!!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post

Expect for the fact, the sire and dam have not been health tested...

Surely you would not advocate that ...as being the place to buy a pup from....yes there are worse places to buy from, but two wrongs dont make a right, and a breeder who fails to follow the simplest of rules is as bad as any.

This is not a get as Pidge post, a she herself has been open enough to see her mistakes... and I commend that!

She loves her boy and am sure she will bring him up in the best home....as as been said, it is done , you cant undo it.. and I am sur eall will be well for them both.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Expect for the fact, the sire and dam have not been health tested...

Surely you would not advocate that ...as being the place to buy a pup from....yes there are worse places to buy from, but two wrongs dont make a right, and a breeder who fails to follow the simplest of rules is as bad as any.

This is not a get as Pidge post, a she herself has been open enough to see her mistakes... and I commend that!

She loves her boy and am sure she will bring him up in the best home....as as been said, it is done , you cant undo it.. and I am sur eall will be well for them both.
In all honesty I think worse things happen.
I think just being health tested doesn't ensure you have a top notch pup. It is about a lot more than that. It could be (and sounds like) these people have raised the pups well,sounds like the bitch and sire are well loved and stress free. Sounds like the bitch had a calm and pleasant pregnancy and the pups were reared in the home with love. There are many KC health tested dogs out there that don't have such luxuries...health testing alone doesn't make a good breeder.

All I am saying is get off her back...she has a happy healthy pup and there are a lot worse places she could have got it from and a lot worse breeders than the ones who had the litter.

Do I condone it? That's different. Don't know. I have had 12 and a half years with a dog who has been exceptionally healthy until the last year or so. No health tests were done on his parents, his mother was stressed during pregnancy and I have no idea who is father was. Would I cnage it or him???? Nope.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:21 PM
So...she got a pup that was advertised on Gumtree and it was froma someone who loved their dog and wanted pups.
How does anyone know that they"loved their dogs & wanted puppies"?

I dearly love my Cavaliers, but I would never let either produce offspring.

I love(actually worship)my cats but they have both been"done"

I love all my BCs but will only breed of the best health wise & I would never ever advertize on Gumtree or the like
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
How does anyone know that they"loved their dogs & wanted puppies"?

I dearly love my Cavaliers, but I would never let either produce offspring.

I love(actually worship)my cats but they have both been"done"

I love all my BCs but will only breed of the best health wise & I would never ever advertize on Gumtree or the like
So because you wouldn't breed your pets you love them more than the people who bred Pidge's pup??? Not sure I follow that logic to be honest.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I think the heading of this thread is a bit one sided.. lets face it the BBC didnt just pull out leaving the kc on there ass
The KC refused to bend to the BBC's demands on what would and wouldnt be shown...
As I see it the KC pulled the carpet on the BBC...
Page 16 of 17 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 >